Recovering files from EV3 brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering files from EV3 brick

The team I am coaching lost some of their project files and Myblocks - we are using school computers that had to be returned, and the team is still learning good project management techniques. They lost the latest version of their project, but still have it on the EV3 brick. From the team's research, it sounds like the files on the brick are in a lower level format (.rbf) and there is no way to convert them back to .ev3 format. Has anyone here found a way? If not, we'll chalk it down to a learning experience and they'll have to recode starting from an older version (at least they'll never forget to save on a flashdrive again!)
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 12-05-2016, 04:19 PM.

Re: Recovering files from EV3 brick

Sorry, Ozymandias. Nobody has found a way to turn the *.rbf file back into a *.ev3. The team is right.

My first team and I learned this on an NXT many years ago. I am sure that if we look hard enough, we'll find someone who remembers the same problem on RCX.

Comment

RXC programs were converted to a text file written in a language called MindScript. You could edit Mindscript files using a text editor and at least in Minnesota this was an acceptable way of programming your robot.

Comment

Thank you.

These kids are so used to applications auto saving everything for them that they never save anything. I, on the other hand, press Ctrl-S every few minutes out of sheer habit. Sloppy project management habits and having to return school computers every couple of weeks has contributed to the team rewriting ALL their code at least three times this season. On the positive side, they now know the code so well they could possibly recite all of it to the robot judges
        Last edited by Ozymandias; 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozymandias View Post
          The team I am coaching lost some of their project files and Myblocks - we are using school computers that had to be returned, and the team is still learning good project management techniques. They lost the latest version of their project, but still have it on the EV3 brick. From the team's research, it sounds like the files on the brick are in a lower level format (.rbf) and there is no way to convert them back to .ev3 format. Has anyone here found a way? If not, we'll chalk it down to a learning experience and they'll have to recode starting from an older version (at least they'll never forget to save on a flashdrive again!)
          Hi! you might want to try this to recover rbf contents: http://ev3treevis.azurewebsites.net

Comment

Working...
          X