How valuable is Spike Prime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How valuable is Spike Prime?

I help out with a couple of classroom FLL teams. They are well invested in EV3.
    The Spike Prime Hub has 6 ports vs the 8 on EV3. (though SP all ports are in/out)
    5x5 LED matrix on the Spike Prime vs a screen capable of text on the EV3.
    Scratch and Mindstorms seem to be geared towards a similar starting grade level, though I think Mindstorms might have an edge for the absolute young beginner.
    At least for our school, I have seen no point in moving onto Python, there is a lot more they could have learned in Mindstorms before they move to our FTC team which uses Java.
    Spike Prime has in its favor that it is cheaper and has more Lego attachment points.
    It would be nice if the new technic/blocks would be available without buying Spike Prime.

I suppose a new team with no parts will be investing in a cheaper new technology, instead of an aging one that might be phased out in a few years will be a major point for choosing Spike Prime.

So far my research into Spike Prime shows very little if any advantage. What am I missing?

Why are you expecting an advantage?

Prime looks to be aimed at a different demographic than NXT or EV3. Kind of a throwback to RCX with even more focus on play. Half wemo, half MINDSTORMS. I think it looks very capable and should do well against EV3 robots, but I agree it has no obvious advantages

Comment

Originally posted by EHMentor View Post
      So far my research into Spike Prime shows very little if any advantage. What am I missing?
      I don't think you are missing anything. The SPIKE Prime is aimed at younger kids - those just starting out with robotics. For FIRST LEGO League, it is intended to make the step up from FIRST LEGO League Jr. easier.

Comment

Personally Spike seems to have an advantage in that it's a more compact brain/motors that will allow for creating smaller or more compact robots. In addition there's a built in gyro sensor so you can still have a 4 motor bot with two color sensors and a gyro. I'll want to do some testing to see how the new built in gyro works (hopefully it fixes some of the drift issues), and if the more compact large motors have the same power output as the ev3 large motors. Also very curious about what the additional processing power will open up in terms of running python on spike.

I don't think it's a 100% upgrade (loosing 2 ports and the display is annoying) but it makes up for it in other areas.

Comment

Note that Spike Prime will not be available for use in the City Shaper season.
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Not available or not allowed? Pretty sure I've read about teams that already have them and, I assume, plan to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcook View Post
              Not available or not allowed? Pretty sure I've read about teams that already have them and, I assume, plan to use them.
              Not allowed. Spike Prime is not listed in the rules as approved hardware.

If I recall correctly, it was removed from City Shaper because the Spike Prime technology was not mature enough for use in the robot game. I'm looking for the official announcement that I read, but it came out a couple of months ago.

Comment

Here is the announcement I received:

On July 2nd, LEGO Education announced that the launch date for SPIKE PRIME is being moved to early 2020. They cite that they do not feel it is currently up to their quality standards so they are not going to make this kit available in time for FIRST LEGO League this year.

Comment

And this from the Spike Prime page. Note the text "Shipping begins early 2020".

spike_prime_delay.JPG

Comment

Thanks for the info, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcook View Post
                      We ordered one with our field kit just for eval, and were told later that we wouldn't be getting the bot until it was ready to go, sometime in 2020. So I don't know how any team got one, and as Tom pointed out Spike Prime isn't listed in the rules as an allowable controller. I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is "both."
                      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

The SPIKE Prime system appears to be using the same LPF2.... SPIKE is a jump between the WeDo (or Boost) and MINDSTORMS.
                        SmartphonesRevealed

Comment

Working...
                        X