Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Animal Allies Scores

Jinx!

Tim received an award at the state tournament for his volunteer work. Now, whenever we are in his presence we forbidden to have our heads raised above his and we must defer to his opinion on all matters. I'm old and stooped, so the first obligation isn't a problem. The second is another matter. Thank goodness his exulted rank expires with the next challenge release.

Seriously though, congrats Tim and thanks for all you do.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 03-02-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I saw Tim hanging out up in the balcony during the awards ceremony and wondered if he had been told that he might want to stick around. :-) Congrats, Tim. Thanks for all you do for FLL!

Comment

Originally posted by mkirkwood View Post
        I saw Tim hanging out up in the balcony during the awards ceremony and wondered if he had been told that he might want to stick around. :-)
        Actually, it was a very pleasant surprise to me. I was waiting for my wife the referee to finish her tasks at the tournament. She is the real reason they gave me an award. Design judges are usually a dime a dozen, but if they can recruit a top-flight referee, then they actually have substantial value.

Comment

Coming back to the actual topic, we had the Central European Final held this weekend. The top score was 375 (done by 3 teams) and we had 11 teams scoring over 300 points.
          All scores of CE in one document can be found here: http://nano-giants.net/robot-game-sc...animal-allies/

Comment

Oregon state championships (scores approximate, it was a long weekend, I'll update this when I find my notes...):
            Saturday, 58 teams, high score around 220, median score about 65.
            Sunday 54 teams, high score 310, median score around 85.
            FIRST Tech Challenge Judge: 2010, Referee: 2017
            FIRST LEGO League Mentor, Instructor, and/or Referee/Head Referee since 2011
            FIRST Robotics Competition judge (Chairman's Award): 2014
            Dean says I'm an "Oompa Loompa of Science"

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
              According to multiple sources everything affects the gyro and the gyro is the source of all mission problems. I don't agree with those sources.

All gyro problems are caused by bad design. Rely overmuch on the gyro and it will bite you, just like the light sensor or the ultrasonic sensor or even a touch sensor or wall squaring. Too many teams use the gyro to make odometry good enough that it can be used to solve missions. It's not the gyro's fault when this doesn't work. Odometry is never good enough to solve missions. I don't care if the gyro was perfect, it would still never work as well as a solution that makes use of landmarks.
              I tend to agree with this. We were at the Oregon State this weekend and came 3rd place on Saturday (may get an invitation to one of the tournaments nationwide). The team totally relied on Gyro and the runs do get impacted by the imperfections on the mat and minor user errors in positioning. One of our last runs (multiple missions) failed due to this which prevented us from getting a robot perf. award. A combination of good Gyro programming and light sensors to utilize the landmarks works much better. The team might re-enable light sensors if we move on.

Suraj

FLL Coach: Gears in Motion 2014-2016

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
                Oregon state championships (scores approximate, it was a long weekend, I'll update this when I find my notes...):
                Saturday, 58 teams, high score around 220, median score about 65.
                Sunday 54 teams, high score 310, median score around 85.
                Updates with the correct data (I found my notes):
                Saturday high scores: 1st: 221 - (also 211 and 197 from the same team), 2nd: 184, 3rd: 168. Median: 68.
                Sunday high scores: 1st: 305 (also a 295), 2nd: 230, 3rd: 220, 4th: 209. Median: 83.

The 305 score included negotiating for the other team in the match to complete the animal exchange (with a backup plan to run their Conservation mission if the other team's attempt didn't work), freeing up time to use the last 20 seconds to move four manure samples into the T&R area one-at-a-time, using a nifty delivery arm, the last one landing just at the end-of-match buzzer. Very exciting.

Comment

These are results of the Central European championship
                  http://et.hands-on-technology.de/ind...703fd589d63456
                  But, remember , the boys here are older (up to 16)

Comment

• Just got back from the FLL World Championships in St. Louis. Our team had a great experience, and put up their best score ever in competition (207 points). Some very impressive (and huge) robots. Top score was an impressive 435!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138624645?t=5h40m20s
                    Last edited by Blasters; 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• I was there with my FRC team, but spent quite a bit time watching FLL . I was disappointed in the amount of coach participation I saw there... Maybe it was because of the size of robot, but many were carrying robots/attachments for the kids... I tend to take very deliberate "hands off" approach.
                      Legolympians - 2009-2015 (retired - joined FRC team 5422 Stormgears)
                      Legolicious - 5th year girls team
                      Brick Force - 2nd year boys team

2015 - Mass FLL coach of the year.

Comment

• I thought the tables in St. Louis were in really good shape. I did not see a single fridge malfunction. Many thanks to Steve Scherr and the rest of the referee/table setup crew.

Comment

• 435 points in St. Louis according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZP3-pzrlXI Wow!
                          Regards,
                          Skip Morrow

2017 Hydrodynamics
                          2016 Animal Allies
                          2015 Trash Trek
                          2014 World Class Learning

Comment

• Originally posted by MrGibbage View Post
                            435 points in St. Louis according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZP3-pzrlXI Wow!
                            Loved the Animal Conservation model solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by timdavid View Post

Loved the Animal Conservation model solution.
                              Agreed!!!
                              Regards,
                              Skip Morrow

2017 Hydrodynamics
                              2016 Animal Allies
                              2015 Trash Trek
                              2014 World Class Learning

Comment

• I rather enjoyed the manure flinger.

Comment

Working...
                                X