Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What high scores & score distribution do you expect to see at Qualifiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What high scores & score distribution do you expect to see at Qualifiers?

It looks like a couple of qualifiers nationwide were held Oct 27th. While those are early, I was wondering if anyone knew the results of those early qualifiers? I'm trying to gauge what the score distribution is likely to be... I'm mentoring some rookie Girl Scout coaches and I'd like to share with them...

Virginia qualifiers start this coming weekend (Nov 3rd). I'll let you know what I see at the one I go to.
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Every year I'm glad we have late qualifiers! We have two missions done and the merest suggestion of a project presentation...
      Coach, FLL Team 3146 Peace By Piece 2013 - 2016; Team 29410 The Dragon Bots 2016-2018
      Judge, FTC 2014-2015; Field Technical Advisor, FTC 2016-2018; Robot Inspector, FRC 2018

Comment

And don't forget that most schools in my part of the state (Norfolk) lost a week of school because of hurricanes. But it's ok since everyone is in the same situation.
        Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

The first tournament in Minnesota is Nov. 10th. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the majority of scores will be between 0 and 100. Most teams will attempt between 3 and 5 missions, with mixed success, and numerous touch penalties.

I could be wrong. We had an extremely competitive first tournament a couple of seasons ago with a high number of top teams, but that has not been the norm.

Comment

I remember when the early tournament was regularly flooded with good teams. Sometimes we had to advance extra teams because there was such a pronounced drop off after the top 4-8 teams who were already in January form by the end of November. Based on what I've seen I think 140 will be a good score for November tournaments, moving up maybe 50 points by the holiday break.

I think the Space Travel, Crater Crossing, Extraction, Food Production, Escape Velocity, Observatory (around 116 points) will be a popular combination. This can easily be done using individual programs for each mission in the time allowed. Smart teams will grab 18 points for the Solar Panel Array, but there will be a surprising number of teams that skip these easy points for fear of "giving away" 40.

Comment

We finished our scrimmages in our section of the state a week ago. Top scores ranged from high 40s to 63, with as many as four missions accomplished. Several teams didn't have a mission yet. Most teams seem to be a little further along with their projects than on their robots.

Originally posted by shelbydavis View Post
              Every year I'm glad we have late qualifiers! We have two missions done and the merest suggestion of a project presentation...
              Our state just moved to a more normal schedule: scrimmages in Oct, all qualifiers on Nov 3rd, 10th, and 17th, and championships in Dec. We've all heard the benefits. I'm really happy with all the great FRC kids staffing our qualifiers. I'm sure I'll enjoy Christmas more. We have less chance of snow cancelling an event.

I personally am used to coaching with season that is 5 to 6 weeks longer. Our brand new rookie team of itty bitty kids did everything right, they met over the summer several times. They were remarkably responsible with time management.

To me, with my dinosaur experience, it felt short and rushed. But it's doable, my wife and I felt like we just barely introduced everything we wanted to, and a remarkable group of kids did just fine. But I know that for a rookie coach, without experienced mentors, it's unbelievably tough to get a decent experience for the kids. We run the scrimmage specifically for elementary teams, rookie teams, and rookie coaches, we reach out as much as we can, and I see the whirley eyes.

If you're a rookie coach, scanning these forums for a clue, please believe me when I say "You're a Hero."

Comment

We had a practice tournament last Saturday; with 18 teams the scores ranged from 120, 91, 82 down to 13, 9, 0. Two teams tied at 49 for 9th/10th place. I expect that the scores at our first qualifier on 11/10 will be similar, although I do expect a higher top score given some of the teams I know will be there.

The team that got 120 did a 2nd vehicle on M01, but I don't recall exactly what missions they did. We had fewer Food Production than I expected & more Observatory runs. We even had one team try the Lander (time ran out, but I don't think they were going to get there anyway) and a different team try the 2 Satellites in Base. Amazingly, they pushed both Satellites on the mat, got off course and ran into the Meteoroid catcher, and didn't have a single piece fall off on either Satellite.

Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

An update from Down Under!

Australia just began their Regional tournaments yesterday - we were at Sydney with 30ish teams and the top scores were 220, 210, 163, 127, 105 and 76. Many teams were at or below 50 points.

Don't know if it's relevant or not, but I noted a seemingly larger than usual crop of robot errors amongst the experienced teams - even my team were beset by gremlins :-)

Comment

Highest scores (over three runs) were 140, 120, 90 (all from the same team), and then 60, 59, 54 (two different teams). We had a total of 16 teams. Many teams were very much beginners, and we (sadly) even had some teams that didn't score a point all day.
                    Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

The scores for the 16 teams at our qualifier in California were 202, 172, 130, 127, 118, 109, 104, 103, 102, 88, 88, 79, 74, 64, 52, 50.

Comment

Our team scored 116 (in 3 sorties) which also happened to be the top score at our qualifier in SoCal yesterday (Nov 4). That was a "perfect" run for us. All attempted missions completed as planned and there were no penalties. They had about 20 seconds left on the clock so there would have been time for more missions but that's all they attempted.

The second highest scoring team hit 92. There were a couple close to that but most scores were about 30 to 60.
                        Last edited by WilliamFrantz; 11-30-2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post
                          The first tournament in Minnesota is Nov. 10th. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the majority of scores will be between 0 and 100. Most teams will attempt between 3 and 5 missions, with mixed success, and numerous touch penalties.
                          About 27 teams attended the first tournament in Minnesota yesterday. Two teams crossed the century mark in the first three performance rounds (scores of 104 and 103). One of those teams hit 120 in the head-to-head rounds at the end of the day.

There were a fair number of first-year teams at the tournament. Popular missions were Space Travel, Escape Velocity, Crater Crossing, Solar Panel Array, and Extraction.

Comment

High score 162. Our first-year team had 4 rounds between 122 - 133, most stable of all teams until semi were a sensor failed and ruined chance for a final. Had to score about 80 to qualify for quarter final so many teams from 60-100 points.

Comment

I went to the Newcastle Qualifier in Oklahoma to see how the teams did. The top score there was 74. We went to the Dell scrimmage about a month ago and got 120 with gears skipping so we couldn't release our rover (otherwise it would have been 140). I figure the top scores will be in the 100 - 120's for most qualifiers. A large number will be 50-80 and the rest will be below that. If you can reliably obtain 100+ you should be good to go. But the pesky gremlins do exist and they have found us often. Right now we are anxiously awaiting replacement tires because ours will barely grip and move our bot. They should show up on the 15th (2 days before our qualifier). :?

Comment

Working...
                              X