Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What high scores & score distribution do you expect to see at Qualifiers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maryland starts their Qualifiers on 1 December and the final qualifier is held on 2 Feb. State Championships are 23 Feb. (That means teams that qualify at the 1 December Event have almost another season (3 months) to prepare for States.

Comment

Heard from a parent of one of the kids on my team about a team scoring a 266 at a qualifier. It wasn't the qualifier my team went to, so I didn't see it, but I was told the robot never came back to base the whole time. *Yikes*

Comment

That's really impressive. Our qualifier had a team that scored 266, but the robot ran at least 3 missions from base.

Comment

Yikes was Brother's Keeper using a single outing to not only score all 400 points in the Power Puzzle challenge, then climbing over the dividing wall and scoring all the points on the adjacent table in 150 seconds (I think that is interference). Scoring 266 in one outing is impressive, but not worthy of "Yikes". "Wow" certainly, maybe even "Wow!", but not "Yikes". They need 320 points to be worthy of "Yikes".

Comment

Just watched the video of Brother's Keeper - now that is a yikes. Sorry, you'll have to excuse my naivete - I thought 266 in a single run was pretty impressive, seeing as we've not even had state championships here. I just haven't gotten used to seeing things like that yet!

Comment

Typically Oregon has qualifying tournaments on the first two weekends of December, then the state championships in mid January.
              FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

High score at the Minnesota state tournament was 283 in the morning rounds. I believe the same team hit 302 in the afternoon head-to-head rounds.

Comment

Can you explain morning rounds vs head to head rounds? Aren't the matches always head to head???
                  Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                  FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

In head to head you pit two teams against each other. The higher score advances two the next round. The lower score is out. Almost nobody does head to head. We get away with it because it counts for nothing but an extra trophy

Comment

• Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
                      Can you explain morning rounds vs head to head rounds? Aren't the matches always head to head???
                      The morning runs are the normal robot runs you see at all FLL tournaments. The best score for each team from those rounds is used to help determine the scoring for advancement. In qualifying tournaments, that's the advancement to the sectional or state tournament. At the state tournament, it helps determine which teams qualify for advancement to the World Festival (or whatever tournament Minnesota is eligible to send teams to).

In the afternoon at the Minnesota state tournament, all 65 teams participate in a "head to head" competition, where the team with the high score at each of set tables advances to the next round. These robot performance scores don't count for anything but bragging rights. It's fun, and most teams seem to enjoy it. I know one team I judged at the state tournament this year had awful morning performance rounds, but recovered to do well in the head to head rounds.

The judges use the time during the head to head rounds at the state tournament to perform callbacks for the judged awards, and finish up writing the comments sheets from the earlier judging. You can read about the judging process used at the Minnesota state tournament in the document below.

https://hightechkids.org/wp-content/...ng-Process.pdf
                      Last edited by timdavid; 03-02-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                        In head to head you pit two teams against each other. The higher score advances two the next round. The lower score is out. Almost nobody does head to head. We get away with it because it counts for nothing but an extra trophy
                        Oregon does it also, though they don't include all the teams.
                        ROBOT ELIMINATION GAME

This is a fun single-elimination ladder played among the top 8 high score teams of the day. They don't receive an award, but have a lot of fun making a few more runs to share with all of the teams how their robot works in a competition setting.

Comment

• Thanks! I have never seen that (Virginia/DC).
                          Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                          FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Working...
                          X