Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun, creative challenges to give kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fun, creative challenges to give kids

    With the state tournament yesterday, our FLL season is over, so all that's left is a pizza party to celebrate the season and congratulate the kids for all their awesome work.

    I was thinking of some fun things to do for the party. I'm hoping they'll release the next year's theme pretty soon so we could show the video. And I thought it'd be fun to toss a couple robot challenges their way to see what they'd do with them. I'll probably just open it up and see if they want to tackle one of the missions they never got to during the season because they decided it wouldn't be strategic because of the 2.5 minute time limit and/or their existing robot design.

    But if I gave them a challenge using the "into orbit" board, what would you all suggest? They could put tank tracks on and try to get the robot across the crater. Since all lego brand parts are allowed, I could find some crazy-shaped bionicle piece and say they had to figure out how to do the extraction mission or aerobic mission or something with it. Or they could try meteoroid deflection with the condition that both blue balls must be tossed / kicked simultaneously. They could set the color sensor to play a sound every time it hits one of the color 'Ts' and time how fast they could hit all 5 Ts on the board and return to base. What other fun, creative challenges would you think of?

  • #2
    It's not Into Orbit related, but last year I had my kids program the robots to dance. 30 minutes of programming and then a dance party. It looked terrible having the robots try to "dance", but the kids had a blast.

    Comment


    • #3
      Set up the board so everything is in scoring condition and see how many points you can erase in 150 seconds.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
        It's not Into Orbit related, but last year I had my kids program the robots to dance. 30 minutes of programming and then a dance party. It looked terrible having the robots try to "dance", but the kids had a blast.
        Oh, you're absolutely right -- my kids would have a blast doing that!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
          Set up the board so everything is in scoring condition and see how many points you can erase in 150 seconds.
          That is an *extremely* clever idea!! I love that!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
            It's not Into Orbit related, but last year I had my kids program the robots to dance. 30 minutes of programming and then a dance party. It looked terrible having the robots try to "dance", but the kids had a blast.
            I think having the kids teach the coach to dance would be entertaining.

            Comment


            • #7
              Connect the left wheel to one EV3 brain and the right wheel to a second EV3 brain and have them program both of them and try to move the robot around? That could be a fun challenge!

              Comment


              • #8
                Or maybe I'm the only one, but we were super-excited when we opened up the observatory bag and found these pieces:

                image_5406.jpgimage_5407.jpg


                And then we were kindof disappointed when we found out in the observatory none of the gears actually mesh -- they were just needing a curved piece and a turntable piece. I've got two sets of "into orbit" models, so we can dismantle an observatory to get to these gears. Maybe there's a fun challenge involving these super-cool pieces.
                Last edited by brian@kidbrothers.net; 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We're finally using the yellow versions of the quarter circle gears this year (from the bucket wheel loader model, thanks bricklink!) affectionately called banana gears. We're using them.... to hold a wheel as a hammer to launch the spaceship.
                  Coach, FLL Team 3146 Peace By Piece 2013 - 2016; Team 29410 The Dragon Bots 2016-2018
                  Judge, FTC 2014-2015; Field Technical Advisor, FTC 2016-2018; Robot Inspector, FRC 2018

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In the off season this year we are going to have a lego battlebots competition. All autonomous, of course!
                    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                    FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We do a sumo competition in early May, I'm going to try and make more effort to build in building and programming strategies into the run up to that this year. My team's ability to make strong attachments has eroded through lax enforcement on my part, I fear. Their robot itself has ended up strong, just by suggesting reinforcement each time it breaks or veers off course due to rubbing axles or misalignment.
                      Coach, FLL Team 3146 Peace By Piece 2013 - 2016; Team 29410 The Dragon Bots 2016-2018
                      Judge, FTC 2014-2015; Field Technical Advisor, FTC 2016-2018; Robot Inspector, FRC 2018

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by brian@kidbrothers.net View Post
                        Or maybe I'm the only one, but we were super-excited when we opened up the observatory bag and found these pieces:

                        image_5406.jpgimage_5407.jpg


                        And then we were kindof disappointed when we found out in the observatory none of the gears actually mesh -- they were just needing a curved piece and a turntable piece. I've got two sets of "into orbit" models, so we can dismantle an observatory to get to these gears. Maybe there's a fun challenge involving these super-cool pieces.
                        I've seen a robot that uses four of those turntable gears for four-wheel independent steering. Also used for the rotating base of a construction crane, etc.
                        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

                          I've seen a robot that uses four of those turntable gears for four-wheel independent steering. Also used for the rotating base of a construction crane, etc.
                          Like this?

                          IMG_20181220_213320579.jpg
                          The axle for the gray gear goes through the black beam that would be attached to the bottom of the robot (and also holds the gray portion of the turntable gear) while the black portion of the turntable gear is attached to the wheel.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by brian@kidbrothers.net View Post

                            Like this?

                            IMG_20181220_213320579.jpg
                            The axle for the gray gear goes through the black beam that would be attached to the bottom of the robot (and also holds the gray portion of the turntable gear) while the black portion of the turntable gear is attached to the wheel.
                            Partially. To be useful you also have to provide power to the wheel. That's why you use the big turntable. The big hole provides room for a drive shaft.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post

                              Partially. To be useful you also have to provide power to the wheel. That's why you use the big turntable. The big hole provides room for a drive shaft.
                              Give the robot four wheels and it could work like a rear-wheel drive car -- steer the front two wheels, drive the back two wheels.
                              Last edited by brian@kidbrothers.net; 12-21-2018, 12:19 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X