Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot Design - rating 'not mature'

Hallo,
    we finished the regional competition really good and heading to semi finals. But there is one point in judging our Robot i cant understand and dont know what to improve in next season. We got in 'Strategy & Innovation' in 'Design & Look' only the 'not mature' (https://www.first-lego-league.org/en...t%20design.pdf)
    I have no idea what we need to improve is to get at least 'efficent' and cant answer the questiopn of the kids. Even i cant ask the judges (we got the Sheets in the evening, as they was gone).
    You can see our Robot e.g. here in action (Team Robo-Kings, they wear a hat and T-Shirts in dark blue with pink Logo on back):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDEeYYPkPg&t=8150
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDEeYYPkPg&t=7260 (running without points, just for test)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDEeYYPkPg&t=5450
    Maybe you can give me some ideas what to make better?

Thank you

Enrico

CoachEnrico - I'm afraid I'm as puzzled as you are by the 'Design & Look' portion of the 'Strategy & Innovation' section. Overall, the rubric used in your country (Germany?) is very similar to what we use in the United States in our region (Minnesota), but we have nothing that corresponds to the 'Design & Look' area. I don't understand if the 'Design & Look' really relates to Strategy and Innovation, or if it is actually meant to be part of Mechanical Design.

I would suggest contacting the tournament director in your region, and see if they can clarify the purpose of that section.

In any event, congratulations on advancing to the semi-finals!

Comment

It is almost looks like something was lost in translation
      Legolympians - 2009-2015 (retired - joined FRC team 5422 Stormgears)
      Legolicious - 5th year girls team
      Brick Force - 2nd year boys team

2015 - Mass FLL coach of the year.

Comment

If I was to point out one critique and one praise it would be these:

The critique would be that the bot uses the outer frame, to ride on, in the front of the bot. This causes drag and unreliable results when driving on different mats of different conditions.

The praise I would give is in the mechanism that is being utilized for the escape velocity mission. What an awesome concept. Most teams use motors, rubber belts, or gravity to provide the power to the "hammer", meaning some precision method is required to trigger the action. Your use of a "stiff-arm" to trigger the action of the hammer, and then the use of the bot's forward movement to power the hammer, is a fresh idea to me. The trigger can only happen if the "stiff arm" is causing it to happen, which means the bot will always be at the correct distance away from the model. This leads to consistency. While it looks as if it could be made to be more rigid, where it fell apart on the first run, I can't see not getting some high marks in Robot Design, if the team discusses what method and tests they used to decide to use this technique. I am impressed.
        Last edited by Feral_Goose; 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Thank you for the feedback, especially the critic.
          @timdavid: The rubric is to evaluate how the kids find the solution, how they decide to design the tools, how to design hard- & software work together. Maybe our biggest problem is to 'sell' our solutions.
          @Feral_Goose: Your right with your critic. On 'our' table we have reliability of 80-100% on the missions. On competition tables this goes down to 60-100%. Maybe this is a good reason for this decrease. We will check this while preparing for next season.
          The tool for Velocity mission was created while the kids playing around and been silly. Have you seen we solve with this tool the observatory mission too? On the top are some axels which unfold if the hammer falls down and push the observatory to grey or white field. This was a idea from our girls, im very proud about this simple and easy solution.
          Last year the kids learned the robots can't reach positions exact and consistently. So we developed serval tools for easy positioning (e.g. docking the space station module) and stop the engines if the target is reached (based on motor feedback). So we got more points than last season, and i think the missions are harder this year.
          Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachEnrico View Post
            Last year the kids learned the robots can't reach positions exact and consistently. So we developed serval tools for easy positioning (e.g. docking the space station module) and stop the engines if the target is reached (based on motor feedback).
            Congratulations to your team. This is one of the most difficult lessons for teams to learn, and to learn to solve.

FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
              Congratulations to your team. This is one of the most difficult lessons for teams to learn, and to learn to solve.
              More difficult to accept than learn. I think all teams learn this right away (that robots are not exact or consistent) but they refuse to believe it because "robots do what we command". Instead of believing the obvious teams assume they must not be commanding the robot the "right way" and spend most of their time trying to make the robot follow commands better instead of designing solutions that don't require the robot to be exact and consistent. Work with robots long enough and you learn they actively seek out ways to disappoint their human overlords. Stop trying to control every facet of their operation and they become almost willing partners.
              Last edited by Dean Hystad; 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                Work with robots long enough and you learn they actively seek out ways to disappoint their human overlords.
                Today is going to be my team's first practice after our qualifier. One boy was not happy with his(/the robot's) performance during his robot run in the qualifier, as he scored only 1/3 of the points that the robot was capable of scoring. Today, one of his goals is to make it so those issues can NEVER happen again. Lofty goal, but I'm sure he'll make some good improvements.

For inspiration and motivation (and to get him to laugh a bit), I made 2 signs, both containing Dean Hystad quotes. One quote was the above. The other was "Frustrated is normal. Every team gets frustrated. Frustration is the fun surprise gift that comes with every field kit. Overcoming frustration and doing the work, solving the problem, is what makes success feel so good."

Maybe I'm a mean coach, but I think he'll understand what I'm trying to tell him...

Comment

Work with robots long enough and you learn they actively seek out ways to disappoint their human overlords.
                  That's going on the "big list of Dean quotes" that I keep in my LEGO League materials.
                  FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
                    My team is starting their off season next week -- as an after school program, I just keep them programming all year long. Today I swapped the Into Orbit set with last year's Hydrodynamics field. Half the team did it last year as rookies and the others haven't seen it before. We worked really hard on making the programs more robust for Into Orbit. I can't wait to see how they apply this to last year's field.

Comment

Working...
                    X