Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Shaper Board Revealed

cityshaper.jpg

So it's true, the active field is smaller and one end of the field appears to be a storage area.
    Interesting looking what-seems-to-be-a-ramp over the North wall.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Also interesting that one of the navigation reference lines continues all the way to the edge of Base.

Comment

Video here (from the reveal at the World Festival)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVmRWu0_VE

There's a prominent role for LEGO Education's "SPIKE Prime" on one of the two fields, but not on both of them (the far field has an EV3 robot).

Speculation! How very fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
          So it's true, the active field is smaller and one end of the field appears to be a storage area.
          Interesting looking what-seems-to-be-a-ramp over the North wall.
          I miss the seasons where you could store stuff on field, but it always seemed like a bad idea for interference reasons. If the western black edge is on-table off-field storage, this looks pretty neat. Though I'll miss having the west wall for squaring up.

Comment

Smaller mat, smaller base, lots of lines, lots of small pieces, a ramp to climb ... looks like a fun board!

Comment

So in that video, there's a whole mess of white bricks in the black area. Got me thinking, what if the kids have to actually build a model on site? Maybe that's what that area is for? Does look like fun! Capture.PNG

Comment

My speculation is that there will no longer be any off-field storage. Whatever attachments and extras you plan to use will need to reside in the west working area. No more side tables, carts, and no more FLOOR storage (there is not supposed to be floor storage now, but we all see it happen).

If true, it would not be my favorite idea from a team standpoint. While real-world constraints are a great lesson, I think at this age range - more options and more freedom is a good thing.
                But if true, from the event side (TD, Ref, etc) - this will help a great deal with space management, safety, queue control, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dna1990 View Post
                  My speculation is that there will no longer be any off-field storage. Whatever attachments and extras you plan to use will need to reside in the west working area. No more side tables, carts, and no more FLOOR storage (there is not supposed to be floor storage now, but we all see it happen).

If true, it would not be my favorite idea from a team standpoint. While real-world constraints are a great lesson, I think at this age range - more options and more freedom is a good thing.
                  But if true, from the event side (TD, Ref, etc) - this will help a great deal with space management, safety, queue control, etc.
                  I would not think so. The west end storage is not as wide as the base, which makes a perfectly legal attachment not able to fit into storage.

Comment

There is a bridge that connects the tables and speculation is about storage???

Comment

It is hard to get a good feel on how wide the bridge is, but I can't imagine very many robots being able to drive up it. I am almost positive that my team's base robot from last year would not be able to do it because I think our robot is too wide. Plus, the way our wheels and casters are configured, I don't think it could even get started going up the ramp because it would bottom out. I do wonder though how teams will practice with that bridge since only very few teams actually have two tables.

So, perhaps we won't have to drive up there. Maybe we can send another "agent craft" up the ramp??? And will it be expected to actually go down the other side? What if one team is on the ramp and it blocks the other team from doing stuff. Oh my, so many possibilities!
                      Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                      FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Same width as Smart Move. 23 studs = 184 mm = 7.25"
                        Last edited by Dean Hystad; 04-23-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
                          It is hard to get a good feel on how wide the bridge is, but I can't imagine very many robots being able to drive up it. I am almost positive that my team's base robot from last year would not be able to do it because I think our robot is too wide. Plus, the way our wheels and casters are configured, I don't think it could even get started going up the ramp because it would bottom out. I do wonder though how teams will practice with that bridge since only very few teams actually have two tables.

So, perhaps we won't have to drive up there. Maybe we can send another "agent craft" up the ramp??? And will it be expected to actually go down the other side? What if one team is on the ramp and it blocks the other team from doing stuff. Oh my, so many possibilities!
                          Our team had a robot in Smart Move that didn't have any problems climbing the bridge. It's not overly difficult if you avoid the large box bots with low clearance that have become so popular in recent seasons. You have to think about weight balance, which wheels are powered, etc. Of course in Smart Move, it turned out the scoring didn't really reward climbing the bridge, so the kids chose not do it in competition. I was rather disappointed. There was a bridge in Senior Solutions also.

I wouldn't mind if the board and the rules encouraged smaller bots. I'm getting a little tired of judging teams that reuse the same bot base every season.

It looks like there are two flags that can be raised at the center of the bridge. I think the scoring criteria for the mission would involve raising one or both of the flags. It's obviously unknown if the bot is required to climb the bridge to accomplish that task.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't coach for smart move, but that does help put things in perspective. I would think even if a robot could fit and climb the ramp, you'd still have a challenge with navigation. How do you make sure you are straight and don't fall off? That sounds very challenging for sure.

I also don't see a "hidden puzzle" on this one. Maybe it's hiding under the ramp or other mission models.

By the way, did anyone figure out what the into orbit mysterious numbers at the north edge of the mat were?
                            Norfolk, Virginia, USA
                            FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
                              Interesting. I didn't coach for smart move, but that does help put things in perspective. I would think even if a robot could fit and climb the ramp, you'd still have a challenge with navigation. How do you make sure you are straight and don't fall off? That sounds very challenging for sure.

I also don't see a "hidden puzzle" on this one. Maybe it's hiding under the ramp or other mission models.

By the way, did anyone figure out what the into orbit mysterious numbers at the north edge of the mat were?
                              Apparently the "FLL Chicken" is hiding on the mat. I haven't seen it yet.
                              FLL alumni, mentor, referee, judge

Comment

Working...
                              X