No announcement yet.

City Shaper Board Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really see anything that could be a magnet. I do see a bat that may end up in the chictree (chicken+tree)
    FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, state ref, state judge.

Comment

The mission could be like the one in Nature's Furry. Items were in close proximity to a tree and "power line". These items had to be captured and brought back to base without disturbing the tree or power line. If memory is correct the tree branches were some what sensitive and anything other than the slightest touch made them drop off the tree. This tree may be the same, touch it too hard and branches fall off and you loose the points for that mission.

Comment

I could easily be wrong with the magnet theory. Maybe for whatever reason, they are trying to avoid sharp corners. I was speculating because they could have made completely smooth sides to the blocks, yet did not. If the round corner studs were magnets it would make sense for building and might explain why all the round corner pieces are the same color.
        Last edited by jasponti; 04-30-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasponti View Post
          I could easily be wrong with the magnet theory. Maybe for whatever reason, they are trying to avoid sharp corners. I was speculating because they could have made completely smooth sides to the blocks, yet did not. If the round corner studs were magnets it would make sense for building and might explain why all the round corner pieces are the same color.
          I thought magnets too at first. Maybe the white spots are going to be a scoring thing as those buildings get built - 'covers at least three of the white markers...' I'm also looking at the colors of the circles the board and the colors of those blocks that look like buildings thinking that you'll have to place buildings in those circles to score. Could be wrong but it's fun to speculate.

Comment

Using the white spots as a scoring mechanism makes a lot of sense. In addition to the number of spots in a circle, it could be a way to measure alignment of stacked blocks (e.g., if white spots of top block align/touch at least part of the white spots of the bottom block). It would be a visible way of confirming that blocks are stacked neatly without requiring perfect alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
              How do you make sure you are straight and don't fall off? That sounds very challenging for sure.
              Maybe have a "dropping" wall on both side of the robot? That is to say, a wall that can slide up and down freely. When robot drives on the ground, the walls will be dragged on the ground (maybe they can has their own wheels). When robot got up to the ramp, gravity pulls the walls down and puts a limit on both side of the ramp, and act like a guide for the robot

Comment

Hi Friends! I am 13, and I have a major problem. Most of our team has left, because they have left the school. I am learning how to program. I don't know how to accomplish our missions with only two people on the team. Any pointers would help.

Comment

Originally posted by FollowHolyLegosonFacebook View Post
                  Hi Friends! I am 13, and I have a major problem. Most of our team has left, because they have left the school. I am learning how to program. I don't know how to accomplish our missions with only two people on the team. Any pointers would help.
                  There are no problems - only opportunities! Don't worry - the actual missions for the City Shaper board won't even be revealed until August. If you want to learn more about programming robots and solving missions, take a look at the nice tutorials over at http://ev3lessons.com/en/.
                  Last edited by timdavid; 05-19-2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FollowHolyLegosonFacebook View Post
                    The team that won the Detroit World Championship in 2018 was a two person team. Our team, which has competed at the World Championship, is also a two person team. The number of kids on your team doesn't determine your success...just how much work you'll each have to do. If you need help with programming, our team would be more than happy to help.

Comment

Do you guys really think that the robot could be scored for building the blocks with magnets? And will there really be fragile pieces on the map?
                      Last edited by RoboticsMaster4217; 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

What are some of your ideas what the mat is going to be about besides having to shape a city?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Carey View Post
                          So in that video, there's a whole mess of white bricks in the black area. Got me thinking, what if the kids have to actually build a model on site? Maybe that's what that area is for? Does look like fun! Capture.PNG
                          Yes, I agree, the pile of white bricks suggests to me that the kids need to speed build something and then place it during the match. Could be supper fun.

Comment

One thing worth considering is that this board may be designed to feature the strengths of the Spike Prime set. By this I mean that it looks as if the board is designed to have many items start in base and then have them placed, in rapid succession out on the field. It seems like a small, fast, darting kind of robot with strong line-following abilities may be what the game is designed to favor.

Comment

I also wonder how much not having one of the walls near base is going to affect lining the robot up - it seems that line following is definitely going to be the prevalent method of navigation for this board, especially if the loss of a wall has a negative effect on the reliability of other types of navigation, whose reliability is often affected by the precision of the initial placement. As a side note, are there any official sources as to the dimensions of the mat (or the area on the side, for that matter)?

Comment

Working...
                              X