Robot using Home during missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot using Home during missions

The team had a two part question based on their reading of the rules related to the robot and Home. This post falls somewhere between the topic ares of Rules and Strategy.

1. If a robot returns to Home after a mission and might collide with Equipment stored in Home, could the technicians temporarily shift equipment out of the way? I think this falls under Rule 19: After passing Inspection, arrange your Equipment anywhere in Home for storage and adjustments, and/or the Launch Area for Launch.

2. The team believes the rule do not prohibit using Home for missions (such as driving along the west wall to get to a mission). Rules 03 & 04 seem to infer that Home is available during missions and not just as a post-mission destination. IF so, would technicians have the ability to shift Equipment and mission materials stored in Home temporarily out of the robots path (back to the previous question)?
    Last edited by jasponti; 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM.

The team can move their Equipment within Home whenever they wish to - but they cannot use the area outside of Home.

What is the second part of the question? Note that youcan't copy-and-paste from a PDF file into the Forum - it blocks that action.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Tom, thanks for the fast response!. I fixed the post. The forum didn't like my use of quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by jasponti View Post
        Tom, thanks for the fast response!. I fixed the post. The forum didn't like my use of quotes.
        There is no rule against allowing the robot to drive through Home. The team may move their equipment in Home at any time - but they cannot move their Equipment outside of Home (i.e. onto the mat surface) - even temporarily.

Since home is only 13.5 inches wide, it might be difficult to have both a moving robot and hand-moved equipment within that dimension simultaneously. But there is no rule against it.

Comment

1. Sure. Teams "own" Home and can arrange any items their at their discretion, but as Tom points out, there is no storage outside of Home. Any arrangement of items in Home should be done before the bot arrives. If a bot attempts to enter Home and gets stuck on some items, it is too late to move those items by hand - that would be an interruption.
          2. Sure. A bot driving autonomously into Home does not interrupt the bot.

Now in both examples, teams will need to take care as to not influence or accidentally interact with the bot, if so then it is interrupted. I think teams driving-thru Home (just like driving-thru Base in previous seasons), teams should take extra effort to demonstrate to the ref that no interruption is taking place.

Interruption is any interaction, not just a direct hand touch. For example, teams would not be allowed to "place" a new object in the expected path of an autonomous bot driving thru. That object would have needed to been in the Launch Area at the time of launch. Even incidental contact with some items stored in Home could a) likely throw off the bot's trajectory and b) be easily construed as affecting (interrupting) the bot. Another rare but example useful to teams to understand interruptions (beyond touching) is the idea of having a color sensor on the bot, and as the bot drives close by (or into) Home, the team has hand-placed a large red LEGO wall. The bot sense this and continues on its way to do X. If the team has placed a large green wall instead, the bot would have gone on to do Y. That is essentially "remote control" or influencing the bot - so interruption.

Dean or someone has a great way to determine interruption: would the bot have behaved differently if you (human) were not even in the room?

I think the OP's example of utilizing the west wall is fine. Just caution on making a nice clear path for the bot and making overt actions to show the ref that the technician's hands are up and clearly allowing the robot to act on its own.

Perhaps obvious, but thinking through what the team "might" be thinking, I remind them that the bot must initially start from the Launch Area, not Home.

Comment

To illustrate just how tricky this "drive through Home" strategy could be in the Referee's view:

- If the team picks up objects from Home so that the robot can pass through unobstructed, the team risks breaking the "store everything in Home" rule. If you pick something up but not for the purpose of putting it into the Launch Area for the next robot launch, you risk breaking the storage rule.

I'm not saying the team can't pick things up - I"m saying the rules are a little vague, and risking a beneficial opinion from the Referees is never a reliable strategy.

Interruption is any interaction, not just a direct hand touch.
            I totally agree, this is a very important point.

Comment

Working...
            X