Launch area/home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch area/home

Rule 10 states: "Precision Token: These are six red discs on the filed, already worth points when the Match starts. Interrupting the Robot before it gets Completely Into Home cause the Referee to take them away."

I read this to mean that you may not touch your robot if it returns to the launch area without getting a token taken away. It seems obvious, but want to make sure.
    In other words, the robot has to be completely off the playing field before being touched.

That was my understanding, but would like to hear from others as well.

Comment

There are two areas the team needs to understand for the launch and return of the robot and understand the rules that apply to those areas: Launch Area and Home.

The Launch Area is under Definition 06. It is the quarter -circle and used to be called Base. Base is no longer a word that applies to the robot game.
      The robot must be launched from the Launch Area. Definition 03, Rule 21.

Home is found under Definition 07. It is the area west of the mat up to the face of the walls.
      The robot must return to Home before you launch again. Rule 10. Interrupting the robot in the Launch Area or any area other than Home results in a loss of a Precision Token.
      There is no requirement that the robot return to the Launch Area.
      See the Robot Game Updates RG07 for mis-Launch, RG09 for things stranded in the Launch Area and other updates.

The Robot does not need to return to Home at the end of the Match if the team elects to have it end somewhere else on the Mat.
      Also, the team should know the rules on cargo and when it is lost or can be kept and the pre-match inspection areas.
      FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

The rule is not that the robot must be off the playing field, the rule is that the robot must get completely into home. The way the rule is written is interesting:

"Interrupting the Robot before it gets Completely Into Home causes the Referee to take them (precision token) away."

I do not think driving into home after launch and then driving back out onto the field suddenly grants you immunity against losing precision tokens, but I do think that it grants protection against losing a token if the robot drives completely into home, then drives a little bit further causing some part of the robot to extend outside the home before you interrupt the robot. Note that the robot must still, at some point, be completely in home. Driving back to home with part of the robot extending over the table edge is not "Completely Into Home", and an interruption should result in losing a precision token.

There is a game update that grants you immunity for an interrupted launch (launch the robot, quickly realize something is wrong and grab the robot). Originally you would lose a precision token for this, but now you don't.

I have a really hard time using "Launch Area" and "Home". I find myself typing "Base". Even had to go back and correct this post for using Base instead of Home.

Comment

So, in past years I've had students combine missions in such a way that the robot would complete 1 or 2 missions,return to base, hit a touch sensor and start another set of missions. By the new rules this would not be allowed correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post
            So, in past years I've had students combine missions in such a way that the robot would complete 1 or 2 missions,return to base, hit a touch sensor and start another set of missions. By the new rules this would not be allowed correct.
            You could, but you would lose a precision token. What you were doing with the touch sensor was kind of a simultaneous interrupt and launch. Now you have to be in Home for free interrupts and you need to be in the launch area to launch.

If you really want robot operation to be mostly hands free you could have it drive to home and either touch the robot or claim the robot is no longer autonomous (must be launched before it can interact with anything in the playing field). Then the robot could drive into the launch area and wait for the touch sensor press. I cannot see any rules that prevent the robot from moving from home to the launch area under its own power. Launching occurs when you perform the action meant to launch the robot. You can start programs or touch buttons on a non-autonomous robot without that being a launch The launch only happens when you do the launch action.

If you are only looking for a way to get more missions out of a program by having the robot do some missions and return home and wait for touch sensor press before performing more missions, that is still allowed. Nowhere in the rules does it say you must start a new program after an interrupt. After the robot returns home you can pick it up (interrupted no longer autonomous, no penalty because robot is home), make changes to attachments or load equipment, position in the launch area and press the touch sensor to launch. Launching does not require starting a program or even pressing a button. The rules say you can signal a sensor as a way to launch the robot.
            Last edited by Dean Hystad; 09-11-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post
              I read this to mean that you may not touch your robot if it returns to the launch area without getting a token taken away.
              You are correct.

This is a by-product of splitting the two functions of the former "Base" area into separate "Home" and "Launch" areas.

FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
              X