Game Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Strategy

Sorry new to this competition and would like to know if you can move house blocks already stacked from home to colored circle or blocks must be moved one at a time. Seems kind of cheating to just slide a tall pile across the mat to a circle. I did not see anywhere that is said you could not do this, but there is a lot to understand and read through and remember.

The scoring conditions for the buildings are counted at the end of the match, not during the match. There is nothing stating that the buildings MUST be built one piece at a time, therefore it is not cheating to "just slide a tall pile across the mat to a circle." I imagine that's what many teams will do. Note that there are ways to maximize your scores and things that might lower a potentially higher score, so check the rules and mission descriptions carefully.

Comment

Cheat as much as you can! Actually you should not cheat, but your solution should be as easy as you can make it. There are no bonus points for doing unnecesary work. You will find doing things the easy way will be challenging enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
        You will find doing things the easy way will be challenging enough.
        Often, when working through the solution for a mission, my sons would comment that "the game designers are truly evil!" when they discover that a mission looks easy but find difficulties that are not obvious after a superficial analysis. After a few years they learned to identify such missions earlier so they were better able to manage their time and risk.

Comment

I was just commenting with a fellow coach today how this mission in particular seems to be rewarding strategic planning as much if not more than robotics programming. To get a high score you need to really understand the complex scoring system (stacking vs. independent, matching, add ons, etc.), plan your routes to not interfere with subsequent missions, and compare the thousands of permutations for the best combination. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SusanMcN View Post
            I was just commenting with a fellow coach today how this mission in particular seems to be rewarding strategic planning as much if not more than robotics programming. To get a high score you need to really understand the complex scoring system (stacking vs. independent, matching, add ons, etc.), plan your routes to not interfere with subsequent missions, and compare the thousands of permutations for the best combination. I like it.
            There are certainly a lot of permutations. It will be interesting to watch the matches.
            FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Working...
            X