Mission 6: Traffic Jam "supported by its own hinges"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 6: Traffic Jam "supported by its own hinges"

There is a curious difference in the wording from Mission 6 to Mission 8. Mission 8 (The Elevator) says, "supported only by its hinges" but Mission 6 (Traffic Jam) says, "supported by its own hinges".

Does anybody think this is intentional? In other words, can the Traffic Jam be supported by its hinges and something else? Mission 6 also says "Independent" but that would not preclude using one of the buildings to prop up the Traffic Jam. Can the Traffic Jam be supported by its hinges and a building? (Buildings are not "Equipment" and therefore don't count against "Independent".)

I am assuming that we aren't required to balance the Traffic Jam only by its hinges. I assume the intent is that the Traffic Jam end up supported by its hinges and the south wall at the very least. I just wonder if there's any reason to think those are the only two allowable supports.

Re: "only by" vs "by its own": I think you're reading too much meaning into the wording.

The "Supported" keyword means that 100% of the weight must be on its hinges (Rule 34). So any other objects (like building units) cannot be bearing any of the weight of the Traffic jam model, or prevent it from falling (also Rule 34).

Can the Traffic Jam be supported by its hinges and a building?
    I think not. It would meet the "Independent" rule, but not the "Supported" rule.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

The "Supported" keyword means that 100% of the weight must be on its hinges
      Wouldn't that mean that the traffic jam can't be leaning against the south wall? Do you think we are expected to balance 100% of the weight on the hinges? That doesn't seem possible without the wall providing some of the support.

Comment

I'll need to check again, but I don't believe our model rests on the south wall. I think it just opens (as in opens like a door) to the point where the hinge binds and can't open any more. At least that it what I recall. I won't see a table again until Thursday, but this is what I remember. In the case my memory is right, I would be comfortable saying 100 percent of the weight is supported by the hinges. If it rests on the south wall, I would hope the refs are trained to allow this.
        Norfolk, Virginia, USA
        FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamFrantz View Post

Wouldn't that mean that the traffic jam can't be leaning against the south wall? Do you think we are expected to balance 100% of the weight on the hinges? That doesn't seem possible without the wall providing some of the support.
          That's a good point. I don't know what the ruling would be.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
            I'll need to check again, but I don't believe our model rests on the south wall. I think it just opens (as in opens like a door) to the point where the hinge binds and can't open any more. At least that it what I recall.
            The model I have used (if I recall correctly) rests on the South wall, but I will check it again. I wasn't looking for that detail at the time.

Comment

The model does not rest on the wall when put together correctly. I confirmed this with FIRST. I contacted them because ours had been leaning against the wall. The problem was that the blue connectors along the hinge had loosened and caused some separation after being repeatedly raised and lowered. When pushed back together, the model stands upright on its own away from the wall.

Comment

Working...
              X