New mat issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mat issues

The new mat allows the models to lean and pull the mat out of position causing inconsistencies. Is there a legal fix to this issue such as a weight to keep the models upright, or is it ok to use two way tape under the mat?

Re: New mat issues

Bad ideas both, especially before the rules are out and we REALLY KNOW what the missions will be. Mats at tournaments will not be taped down.

Comment

On the one hand, it might be nice if they have a fix for the issue when they roll out the missions. We too are seeing the 4 contamination stations lean and pull the mat up a little.

But ultimately I don't think its too big a deal and whatever the mission are the kids should be able to deal with it. Hey - its like real life - even problems have unexpected issues.

Comment

According to the poster of this YouTube video about the contamination risk model/mat issue; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWkCZFZKvo , they were told that instructions to address this issue will be included in the kickoff info released tomorrow.

Merle
        Granby Red Blox - Coach
        Granby Red Blox - FLL Coach
        Jr Granby Red Blox -JrFLL Coach
        Granby GRUNTS #3146 - FRC Mentor

Comment

If the challenge details haven't yet been released then:

a) How do you know the models are in the correct place?

b) (Related) How do you know that they have been duo-locked properly?

c) How do you know that they aren't meant to do that?

I mean this in the kindest way - perhaps spend your time thinking about what types of food safety topics you can explore with your team.

Brian Boorman, Coach
          Honeoye FLL Team 7566
          3rd-Year Team

Comment

Originally posted by merle View Post
            According to the poster of this YouTube video about the contamination risk model/mat issue; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWkCZFZKvo , they were told that instructions to address this issue will be included in the kickoff info released tomorrow.
            Sweet!! Thanks for letting us know, I have been wondering about this!!
            Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
            Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
            https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
            http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

Originally posted by bboorman View Post
              If the challenge details haven't yet been released then:

a) How do you know the models are in the correct place?
              b) (Related) How do you know that they have been duo-locked properly?
              c) How do you know that they aren't meant to do that?
              First of all its a pretty small risk. We have lots of extra duo lock pads left over so it a model is wrong we will simply redo it.

Second of all - most of the models that lock are pretty obvious. There is an outline on the mat shaped like the piece to guide you. Hey - the kids pointed this out and felt it was obvious, and I agreed. So, unless a model has been adjusted because of some fit or other issue, it is usually accurate. And again, if it is not (this years contamination models are a high probability), then we will fix it.

The only model that the kids were not confident on are the two cross table collaboration pieces. They don't seem to fit on the outline quite right so those are sitting loose and waiting for instructions.

Originally posted by bboorman View Post
              I mean this in the kindest way - perhaps spend your time thinking about what types of food safety topics you can explore with your team.
              They did this. But right now, the kids really just want to explore the table and the mat and discuss possibilities. They *think* they have it all figured out in terms of physical models on the board - the loose pieces they are not sure of.

Really - just let the kids have fin and explore. If they make mistakes those are invaluable as they will learn lessons that are also important. Life in the real world is full of surprises and failure - let them be surprised and fail so that they are better prepared to succeed.

Comment

Hi everyone -

Glad to see some great discussion on the FLL forums. Just a reminder for teams to check all the Robot Game documents for official answers to your questions - http://firstlegoleague.org/challenge/2011foodfactor

Thanks and have fun!
                FIRST LEGO League

Comment

Originally posted by FIRST LEGO League View Post
                  Glad to see some great discussion on the FLL forums. Just a reminder for teams to check all the Robot Game documents for official answers to your questions - http://firstlegoleague.org/challenge/2011foodfactor
                  Thanks for putting all the challenge info into one PDF! It makes it so much easier to send to people.
                  Coaching the Flamingos since 2004!
                  Team #79 - The Blue Cheesy Flamingos
                  https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooFLL
                  http://www.KalamazooRobotics.org

Comment

I saw somewhere that First is going to release a fix for the comtamination risk problem with the challenge papers
                    Last edited by Rogie Rex; 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie Rex View Post
                      I saw somewhere that First is going to release a fix for the problem with the challenge
                      And which problem is that? Are you talking about the Contamination Risk Dispensers? Did you see the revised build in the table setup instructions?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
                        And which problem is that? Are you talking about the Contamination Risk Dispensers? Did you see the revised build in the table setup instructions?
                        Page 9 of the challenge document PDF describes a slight change in the instructions for putting together the Contamination Risk Dispensers, which looks like it will make them a little better balanced.

Comment

Anyone else notice how fast this new mat matrial gets.. and its hard to clean then the older smooth stuff.. I like the new stuff for robots but with tires and 3 teams building and planning on it its becoming pretty dirty fast
                          X.K.A.R.'s Teams
                          Xenia Kids And Robots
                          www.xkar.org

Team 633 Robotatoes
                          Team 634 Bro-ritos
                          Team 6348 uhhh do you want fries with that

Comment

Containment Risk Dispenser

The 4 containment risk dispensers are definitely better balanced, after we made the modification from the game rules. However, they still pull upwards slightly on our mat, even after modification. It is tolerable for now, but given how delicate the new mats seem to be, after a full season of use, I can foresee that some of the mats are likely to be very stretched out of shape.

For now, we are using weighted bricks on the base to prevent stretching our mat out of shape too soon. A small amount of weigh fixed the problem entirely. I hope they do issue some new suggestion, or the mats and dispensers could be in quite bad shape by seasons' end.

Comment

These mats didn't come with a warning sticker warning:
                              "This FLL field mat is not a toy. It should be used only as the "field" on which your team conducts FLL activities. Please take precautions to make sure that no child puts any portion of the field mat into his or her mouth."

They don't smell as bad as the previous year mats do. I think the new mats are probably a step in the right direction for safety. But I had to insist to one of my team members that it still wouldn't be wise to stick this year's mat in her mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X