Points for Food Factor Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points for Food Factor Board

Is this year's scoring structure making anyone else kind of dizzy? Thinking of creating Visio or Excel sheet to organize all the possible point values. Is anyone having trouble figuring out how to total all the points?

Re: Points for Food Factor Board

There are 452 points available (confirmed by Scott Evans).
    GENIUS - Girls Exploring New Ideas Using Science
    Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta
    http://geniusrobotics.com/
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Youtube Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Genius Robotics View Post
      There are 452 points available (confirmed by Scott Evans).
      I came up with the same total.

However, I don't expect to see anything over 350. That's my challenge for the year - prove me wrong!

Comment

Bacteria to sink - one at a time?

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
        I came up with the same total.

However, I don't expect to see anything over 350. That's my challenge for the year - prove me wrong!
        It appears to me that the intent of the 'Hand Wash/Bacterial' mission is that teams get 3 points for each bacteria taken to the sink, but that the bacteria need to be taken one-at-a-time, barring the emergence of some very creative solution. It appears that it will be very unlikely that a robot will be fast enough to perform more than a few such 'hand-washing' missions, in addition to all the other tasks. Am I reading those rules correctly?

Comment

I wonder if you get to count the points for the contamination dispensers if you attempt to get any of the bacteria to the sink? If you take away those points and then only count the groceries in base as the one that are taken to the table, you get 400 points.

Comment

No points for the Cow, Pig, or chickens?
            This is a first - Mission models with no purpose.
            I guess they are just spectators.
            Dave A.
            Coach - 198

Comment

452 is impossible with the rules as they are.
              You would have to deliver 48 bacteria one at a time. 150 seconds divided by 48 leaves about 3 seconds each. Maybe possible, but then when would you do the other missions?

I love how there is not max score this year. It is very exciting to have the team not be competing against the elusive 400!

And what is it with the farm animals? Did they forget something or make some change after the model design phase?
              Weird.
              Last edited by hastypete; 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dwanderson View Post
                No points for the Cow, Pig, or chickens?
                This is a first - Mission models with no purpose.
                I guess they are just spectators.
                I was wondering if they classified as "meat" for the Refridgerated Ground Transport mission (in addition to the crated meat).

Of course the lunatic chicken will be a distraction for several of our meetings.

Merle
                Granby Red Blox - FLL Coach
                Granby Red Blox - FLL Coach
                Jr Granby Red Blox -JrFLL Coach
                Granby GRUNTS #3146 - FRC Mentor

Comment

I think the bacteria mission is about moving only one color at a time to the sink, not only one bacterium. There is nothing in the text that supports my interpretation, but moving individual bacteria to pick up 3 points each is insane. I expect there will be a rule clarification soon.

Comment

Being new to this...I have a couple of questions others might be able to address...

1) does the reference to rule 23 regarding the east wall indicate this is an exception or that the robot needs to be touching the east wall when your time expires?

2) do you think under Disinfect that "no bacteria touching the mat outside base" is calculated by color? or overall? in other words if a green bacteria is on the mat but all the red ones make it to base, are the reds worth 7 or 12 each?

Thanks! Natterbus

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMcDonnell View Post
                      I think the bacteria mission is about moving only one color at a time to the sink, not only one bacterium. There is nothing in the text that supports my interpretation, but moving individual bacteria to pick up 3 points each is insane. I expect there will be a rule clarification soon.
                      As the rules are written, it means ONE bacteria, not color group. There is the possibility that they made a mistake, but I'd rather think they were making a "soft" upper score limit as to avoid teams getting 400 and tying.

Comment

Originally posted by natterbus View Post
                        Being new to this...I have a couple of questions others might be able to address...

1) does the reference to rule 23 regarding the east wall indicate this is an exception or that the robot needs to be touching the east wall when your time expires?

2) do you think under Disinfect that "no bacteria touching the mat outside base" is calculated by color? or overall? in other words if a green bacteria is on the mat but all the red ones make it to base, are the reds worth 7 or 12 each?

Thanks! Natterbus
                        There will be discussion of the rules throughout the season, and official clarifications often get issued when there is uncertainty, so don't take the discussion here as the final word. However, my interpretation from the initial reading is:
                        1) I think this means that the robot must be touching the east wall when the match ends in order to earn these points.

2) I think the points are scored separately for each color of bacteria, so in the situation you describe the team would score only 7 points for green bacteria, but that would not prevent them from scoring 12 points for red bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by natterbus View Post

Thanks! Natterbus
                          1) Yes the final configuration when the 2.5 minutes expires determines the score. So the robot must be touching at the end. Not uncommon to have a "final resting place" score.

2) It seems to be written such that NO bacteria can be touching. They mean any bacteria anywhere. any color anywhere.

Don't take my word for it, send your questions in.

Edit: seems like there is confusion on this mission, I'll bet there will be a clarification. The words NO and ANY in bold in the rule seem to be emphasized by the BOLD. ANY to me means ANY bacteria, and not ANY of a certain color. No colors or reference to colors are in that mission rule anywhere. I too would like to see confirmation, because this is a big difference.
                          Last edited by hastypete; 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I interpret the ANY bacteria as any of any color. Consider - there are 2 that start in the trailer. Would referees really have to track whether a red bacterium on the mat came from the trailer or if it came from the dispenser? I don't think so!

Comment

(updated) I was also able to come up with the 452 points after seeing in the setup instructions that the 2 crates in the truck count as "groceries" for the table mission, even though in the model build instructions they are not in the groceries section.

I also assumed the 2 croisants only count as 1 "grocery unit" even though they do not seem to attach to their carrier.

(updated) Relative to the comments about the animals, the setup instructions for "Meat and Fish" only mention the crate of meat. I assume the animals are not considered meat.

Here's an excel spreadsheet I threw together of how I came up with the 452 total. Comments welcome.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Aaron S; 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X