Robot Game Video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot Game Video

I was looking forward to watching the folks at FLL explain the Robot Game, but I guess they didn't make one. Instead I found this already on YouTube. There's some really productive people out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEk4fuxuULE
    3rd Year Coach
    Mindstorms Maniacs #1023
    Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Robot Game Video

This is one awesome video. It sure helped me understand all the ways to score. Only one problem though, in the beginning they have east and west mixed up. Also why no points for the farm animals? I want to get rid of a "lunatic" chicken

Comment

This helps a lot - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by duckieee1955 View Post
        This is one awesome video. It sure helped me understand all the ways to score. Only one problem though, in the beginning they have east and west mixed up. Also why no points for the farm animals? I want to get rid of a "lunatic" chicken
        I think the animals are there to leave a loop whole in the meat missions.. JUST my guess

The video is nice and pretty right on BUT remember its not official and all rules and missions should come from FLL. It seems every year people look to youtube and get mis information from team made videos
        X.K.A.R.'s Teams
        Xenia Kids And Robots
        www.xkar.org

Team 633 Robotatoes
        Team 634 Bro-ritos
        Team 6348 uhhh do you want fries with that

Comment

DITTO what Jsnlong said. So many things can be misinterpreted. Make sure you understand completely.
          3rd Year Coach
          Mindstorms Maniacs #1023
          Colorado Springs, CO

Comment

I'd love to see the video, but YouTube says it is private? Anyone else have this problem? or a solution?
            Thanks!

Comment

yeah - I just tried to watch it and it says it private. What happened?

Comment

The original video had a mistake where they had the west/east labels backward. They reloaded it with that fixed. Here is the new link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdTbTf4G0k

Remember...this is NOT an official video, so go by the official information from FIRST. Also, the thermometer in this video is not built correctly.
                Last edited by Robomom; 09-06-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

not sure if this is equivalent but watching this one now....
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdTbTf4G0k

Comment

We are a rookie team. We loved this video but it raised a question about the refrigerated container. We understand that we are to move it to base and that it will have two viruses inside. When it is inside base, does a person take out the two viruses? Does the robot have to take out the two viruses inside the base? Can the robot spill the viruses out of the container before it gets to the base? Does the robot put the meat and fish into the empty container inside the base? When we view videos of past competition we don't see anything about the robot doing stuff inside base so we are not sure what is expected. Any guidance or thoughts are very appreciated. RoblesBot #1936

Comment

Originally posted by RoblesBot View Post
                      We are a rookie team. We loved this video but it raised a question about the refrigerated container. We understand that we are to move it to base and that it will have two viruses inside. When it is inside base, does a person take out the two viruses? Does the robot have to take out the two viruses inside the base? Can the robot spill the viruses out of the container before it gets to the base? Does the robot put the meat and fish into the empty container inside the base? When we view videos of past competition we don't see anything about the robot doing stuff inside base so we are not sure what is expected. Any guidance or thoughts are very appreciated. RoblesBot #1936
                      Once items are in base, the team members are allowed to handle the items. They can take things out of the container as needed, or put things in the container. The robot doesn't need to manipulate objects while they are in base.

Comment

This year, I think the "Totally Awesome" non-trophy will go to a team whose robot does do those manipulations in base that could have been done by human hands. I think there was a robot one year that came back to base and changed accessories by itself. Can't get a perfect score? Go for the Awesome Award.

Seriously, the only thing you cannot do by hand in the base is take apart the field models.
                        Bill Bourn
                        Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
                        Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Originally posted by GWhizNonKid View Post
                          I think there was a robot one year that came back to base and changed accessories by itself. Can't get a perfect score? Go for the Awesome Award.
                          This video shows a robot that needed only minimal human intervention to change attachments.

It's from the PowerPuzzle season. Yes, base was in the center of the board that year. No, what they demonstrated was not really legal, it was just for fun.

Comment

When it is inside base, does a person take out the two viruses? Does the robot have to take out the two viruses inside the base? Does the robot put the meat and fish into the empty container inside the base?
                            As others have described, either a team member (easier; and one of the two at the table from Rule 2, bullet 3) or the robot (harder) may remove the bacteria from the container or load it with meat and/or fish when it is in base. (Rule 14: Inactive Robot Handling, or Separated/Stored Objects)

Can the robot spill the viruses out of the container before it gets to the base?
                            Yes, definitely. Rule 19, Bullet 1
                            Anything done to your field outside Base by your legally active ROBOT stays that way, unless the ROBOT changes it.
                            Steve Scherr
                            Referee and Judge, Virginia-DC, Maryland, and Ohio
                            FLL Global Head Referee

Comment

You need to check out rule 14; particularly the paragraphs on "Inactive Robot Handling" and "Separated/Stored Objects". Also rules 10 and 12. There are a few other things scattered around in the rules, but those are the main ones that will answer your questions. And remember -- the video has no official standing; it's a good thing to look at but don't count on everything (or even anything) being accurate.

I think the other answers are good & should be of big help, but it's also always good to go back to the rules. I'm constantly on our kids to have rules experts on each team; I think I'm up to several dozen mentions by now. I told the kids to expect about 1,000 references to knowing the rules; my returning 6th graders think I may have low-balled that. :S
                              Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                              KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X