No announcement yet.

Cooking Timer Pointer Initial Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Timer Pointer Initial Position?

The photo in the FLL Complete Challenge pdf indicates that the initial starting position of the white pointer of the Cooking Timer is due South (at the blue / white junction), and based on the following official text

"Scoring condition(s): The white pointer in the red zone is worth 14 points"

the final pointer position to score is in the red / north-east quadrant.

Can we be sure that due south is the intended starting position of the pointer in competition?

The technical requirements of the mission would change if the white pointer were set randomly to start...
    First Year FLL Coach

Re: Cooking Timer Pointer Initial Position?

The outline of the pointer is drawn on the map at the south side. I expect that is the intended starting position. However, rather than assume anything, I would suggest an email to Scott for clarification.
    Bill Shaw
    FLL Team 4968
    Several Jr. FLL Teams
    Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by MacFarlane Explorers View Post
      The outline of the pointer is drawn on the map at the south side. I expect that is the intended starting position. However, rather than assume anything, I would suggest an email to Scott for clarification.
      Done! I will post his reply.

Thanks.
      First Year FLL Coach

Comment

Originally posted by MacFarlane Explorers View Post
        An outline on the mat is a bit more than an assumption. It has always been an indicator for field setup, like how to orient the ice cream and pizza loops, how to orient the truck and the combine, etc... If there is a mark on the mat showing where the pointer goes, that is where the pointer goes.

Comment

On page 8 it says specifically "Timer - See pictures and mat marks."
          The mat marks indicate it should be set it up exactly like it is in the pictures on page 10 and 11.

Comment

I agree with dean.. Just like with the Thermometer has a line to tell you where the lever goes along with every other model..

No questions in my mind the timer handle lines up with the line at the start of the run..
            X.K.A.R.'s Teams
            Xenia Kids And Robots
            www.xkar.org

Team 633 Robotatoes
            Team 634 Bro-ritos
            Team 6348 uhhh do you want fries with that

Comment

First, thanks to all the teams who have posted pictures and videos of the table set up. I will not get my team's field kit until I attend a 5 hour coach training meeting on Sept. 10, so I really appreciate being able to see the mission models online. I do have a few questions that I can't tell from the pictures:

1. Does the timer pointer spin freely, or does it have "stopping" points that it clicks to as it is turned?

2. Does the table have lip around the edge that helps keep food on it, or is it a smooth top?

3. When a tray of bacteria is dumped, do they mostly stay near the tray, or do they tend to bounce and roll all over? (if they roll, it could affect the robot movement during the match, and also the reset time for the referee as he/she hunts for that last piece)

4. Why is the chicken being described as the "lunatic" chicken? (doesn't affect a mission, but I'm curious!)

Thanks!

Linda

Comment

Replies in bold.

Originally posted by Linda Zoe View Post
                First, thanks to all the teams who have posted pictures and videos of the table set up. I will not get my team's field kit until I attend a 5 hour coach training meeting on Sept. 10, so I really appreciate being able to see the mission models online. I do have a few questions that I can't tell from the pictures:

1. Does the timer pointer spin freely, or does it have "stopping" points that it clicks to as it is turned?

It does not have stopping points. It spins freely, but requires a little effort to turn it (it doesn't "spin" like a board game spinner).

2. Does the table have lip around the edge that helps keep food on it, or is it a smooth top?

There is a very slight lip, but the food can easily spill over it.

3. When a tray of bacteria is dumped, do they mostly stay near the tray, or do they tend to bounce and roll all over? (if they roll, it could affect the robot movement during the match, and also the reset time for the referee as he/she hunts for that last piece)

I went and tested by dumping one of them a few times. Without being contained, they can spread out a foot or more from the model.

4. Why is the chicken being described as the "lunatic" chicken? (doesn't affect a mission, but I'm curious!)

It's probably described that way because Scott has a sense of humor.

Thanks!

Linda

Comment

It's connected with a friction pin, so it moves when pushed but doesn't spin freely. There are no clicks or stops.

There is a lip the height of a LEGO tile.

Mostly, they bounce but they fall in one direction so they tend to be in front of the contamination risk they came out of.

Humor afaik.

Bill
                  Bill Shaw
                  FLL Team 4968
                  Several Jr. FLL Teams
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Random View Post
                    The photo in the FLL Complete Challenge pdf indicates that the initial starting position of the white pointer of the Cooking Timer is due South (at the blue / white junction.

Can we be sure that due south is the intended starting position of the pointer in competition?
                    Scott's email answer to me:

"For sure yes - no matter where the game is administered, that initial condition for that model will be present."
                    First Year FLL Coach

Comment

Working...
                    X