Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer Building Issues

Hello,

I noticed a couple issues involving the Thermometer mission model.

In the build instructions (9697_Thermometer_BI.pdf page 1) the spindle of the thermometer points West when the thermometer is indicating a high temperature. In direct contrast, in the Robot Game Description there are two pictures (pages 6 & 7) that show the spindle pointing EAST when the thermometer is indicating a high temperature. I’ve sent an email to 'fllrobotgame@usfirst.org' to ask for clarification on the proper way to build the thermometer!

There’s a second issue with the Thermometer build instructions that I’ve discussed with other teams on YouTube. Step 26 shows an arrow indicating to push the axle that the spindle rotates on downward. This is a bit ambiguous. Some teams have only pushed it down slightly and this results in a spindle that turns freely and does not fall into the grooves as it rotates. If you push the axle all the way down in step 26, then the spindle is not as easy to rotate since it falls into the groves as it rotates. I think clarification should be put out for how far to push the axle down in step 26 because the directions are ambiguous. I know the rules (under Mission Storage Temperature) say “the spindle needs to drop all the way.” This won’t make sense to the teams that didn’t push the axle all of the way down in step 26 of the build instructions.

Coach Vienna Roboticshttp://forums.usfirst.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Re: Thermometer Building Issues

I also emailed Scott about the thermometer. He replied
    "When the bar points east, the thermometer should read high. Whatever pictures say what, make yours that way, and I’ll investigate."

This led us to flip the temperature reading to the opposite of what it had shown in the build instructions. I expect we will see a game update regarding the thermometer.

I didn't ask about the spindle issue. My team built their thermometer the way you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Robomom View Post
      ...This led us to flip the temperature reading to the opposite of what it had shown in the build instructions. I expect we will see a game update regarding the thermometer.

I didn't ask about the spindle issue. My team built their thermometer the way you did.
      Our team did too and simply rotated the bar 180 degrees so it matches the picture.
      Tony A.
      Los Angeles FLL Region OP
      www.la-fll.org
      https://www.facebook.com/LosAngelesFLL/

Comment

In other words, the bar requires a slight upward motion in order to rotate it? That is the way my team built it, and I was hoping it was right. I'm not in a position to argue with my team since I never build with legos

Comment

OK, just to clarify... which way is the handle pointing when temp is high? Toward base or away from base. East / West is a little confusing as the video got it wrong this year. West is where the base is, but the video labelled that as East.

N
          |
          W -+- E
          |
          S

There is a line on the mat, that points away from base. I take it that is start position.

Comment

Sorry, I just watched the video again. It is very clear the handle starts pointed toward base and is rotated to be away from base.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedog23 View Post
              Sorry, I just watched the video again. It is very clear the handle starts pointed toward base and is rotated to be away from base.
              That's incorrect. Remember, that video has no official standing of any kind; it's a great thing to watch & discuss but don't rely on anything in it.

Look at the mission setup pics; particularly on pages 10 & 11 in the "complete challenge" doc. The handle starts out pointing east, with the high temperature showing. This matches the markings on the mat as well.
              Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
              KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the clarity. We went thru the build instructions twice. Built it wrong twice.
                Guess we weren't alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedog23 View Post
                  Thanks for the clarity. We went thru the build instructions twice. Built it wrong twice.
                  Guess we weren't alone.
                  No, you certainly weren't alone; the build instructions have the handle reversed. Fortunately, it was an easy fix for us to rotate ours 180 degrees. I suspect the other thousands of teams that built theirs before the rules were out did exactly the same thing.
                  Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                  KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

There's a compass just outside of base. It indicates the West side is the four-foot side bordering base. Hence the East side is the four foot side down near the thermometer.

Comment

http://firstlegoleague.org/challenge/robotgameupdates

See the game updates. Problem answered.

2 – THERMOMETER LEVER
                      The Field Setup page shows the thermometer's lever pointing east and its gauge showing hot. This is the correct way, even though it is different than the building instructions. Please reposition your lever so the model can be set to match the pictures on the Field Setup page.
                      Jeff Bartig
                      Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Comment

Working...
                      X