Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distant Travel mission

We just gotta know . . .
    We don't have our field kit yet. Rookie team, late sponsorship, late registration.

Is there really a toy-like robot in the kit? What robot needs to be touching the East wall at the conclusion of the match? The Mindstorms robot or a robot that comes in the kit? If a toy-like robot, how is it powered: windup? batteries?

TIA,
    Maximum Mindstorms
    Wisconsin

Re: Distant Travel mission

It is your robot that the team builds which has to be touching the East wall.

Comment

Originally posted by JMedina View Post
      We just gotta know . . .
      We don't have our field kit yet. Rookie team, late sponsorship, late registration.

Is there really a toy-like robot in the kit? What robot needs to be touching the East wall at the conclusion of the match? The Mindstorms robot or a robot that comes in the kit? If a toy-like robot, how is it powered: windup? batteries?

TIA,
      Maximum Mindstorms
      Wisconsin
      I'm speculating that you watched a video about the missions on Youtube and saw a toy robot in that (not a Mindstorms robot). The toy robot in that video was just for fun. In a real match you would use a Mindstorms robot that the team builds.

Edited to add...this is the video I was referring to. The toy robot is around the 2:30 mark. Since it's not made from LEGO, that robot would not be legal for use in a tournament. This is NOT an official video, so don't go by everything you see in it. Go by the official rules and updates.
      Unofficial Missions Video
      Last edited by Robomom; 09-05-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification, RoboMom and Gary.
        Much appreciated.

Comment

I really think they need to reword this to enforce that it means that this is an end postion mission. The scoring condition states : The robot touching the east wall is worth 9 points. Remember Rule 23".

When I first read this, I interpreted it as getting the robot to touch the east wall at some point in the match. Basically as a motivator to get the teams to get their robot to travel the length of the board.

I know that Rule 23 points at this only scoring if they are still touching at the ned of the match, but I thought that they had been more specific in the past when a condition is required at the match end.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryLat View Post
            I really think they need to reword this to enforce that it means that this is an end postion mission. The scoring condition states : The robot touching the east wall is worth 9 points. Remember Rule 23".

When I first read this, I interpreted it as getting the robot to touch the east wall at some point in the match. Basically as a motivator to get the teams to get their robot to travel the length of the board.

I know that Rule 23 points at this only scoring if they are still touching at the ned of the match, but I thought that they had been more specific in the past when a condition is required at the match end.
            For Scott this is about as clear as it gets.

"Rule 23: With rate exception, your score is assessed based on the conditions at the exact time the match ends only."

-and-

"The robot touching the east wall is worth 9 points. Remember rule 23."

Put together you get "The robot touching the east wall at the end of the match is worth 9 points."

The wording was different for Smart Move, but so were the rules. In that case the robot had to be IN a certain part of the mat and STOPPED at the end of match to score points. Here the robot only has to be touching. You could be in the middle of completing some other mission as long as the robot was touching the wall at the end of the match. If the robot drives away immediately afterward you still score the points.

Comment

Working...
            X