Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerated trailer in base

All,

After the refrigerated trailer has been pulled into base, in order to push it back onto the dock, does the trailer have to be completely inside the base before it's pushed out?

Given the length of the trailer and the length of the average NXT bot, it would be hard to get the robot behind the trailer and keep the trailer completely inside the base.

Any clarification would be welcomed!

Re: Refrigerated trailer in base

Originally posted by int2str View Post
    All,

After the refrigerated trailer has been pulled into base, in order to push it back onto the dock, does the trailer have to be completely inside the base before it's pushed out?
    Rule 16, first bullet:
    For the match start and all restarts, EVERY BIT of the robot, including its installed attachments & wires, everything
    touching it, and any objects it is about to move or use, must ALL fit COMPLETELY in Base.
    Given the length of the trailer and the length of the average NXT bot, it would be hard to get the robot behind the trailer and keep the trailer completely inside the base.
    Yep. Glad I don't have to figure it out; it's up to the kids. :-)
    Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
    KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

The rules state: For the match start and all restarts, EVERY BIT of the robot, including its installed attachments & wires, everything
      touching it, and any objects it is about to move or use, must ALL fit COMPLETELY in Base.

So if you plan to touch the robot and/or the trailer in the base, the trailer must fit completely in the base before you send it out again. However, if the robot passes through the base while in contact with the trailer, and you do not touch the robot or trailer, the trailer can exit the base with the robot without ever being completely in the base.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Linda Zoe View Post
        So if you plan to touch the robot and/or the trailer in the base, the trailer must fit completely in the base before you send it out again. However, if the robot passes through the base while in contact with the trailer, and you do not touch the robot or trailer, the trailer can exit the base with the robot without ever being completely in the base.
        Linda
        Ah....do you mean "send the robot out of the base & have it come back at some point to sweep up the trailer"? If so, how do you get around rule 14, both "Changing things outside of base" (which includes the words "even partly) and "Staging"? Or am I mis-interpreting your intent? Please elaborate.
        KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at kcfllref@gmail.com

Comment

Look at "Staging" in Rule 14. Saying more than that could be depriving some teams of strategizing on their own.

Comment

I thought (from watching the competition last year) that as soon as your robot touches base, you can grab it for a restart. Is this not true then? It must entirely be within base under its own power for a restart without touch penalty? Perhaps it was all happening too fast and I misinterpreted. Natterbus

Comment

As soon as your robot crosses the line of Base, you can touch it. If you touch the robot, you have to follow a complete restart procedure, including all parts of it and the items it is touching being in Base.

Comment

Yes, you can still grab the robot once it breaks base. If it is in contact with the trailer and the trailer is not yet in base, rule 18 kicks in and you loose the trailer.

Some of Rule 18 ...
                • If you touch the active robot or anything it’s touching while its CARGO is completely out of Base:
                — if the cargo was with the robot the last time the robot left Base, it goes to Base.
                — if the cargo was NOT with the robot the last time the robot left Base, the ref takes it away.
                • Warning: Avoid touching a robot entering Base until its cargo has also reached Base!

What this means is if the robot had something with it when it left base and your team has to touch the robot(completely out of base) you get that thing back. If your team picks up something while its outside base and then the team has to touch the robot outside of base, the team looses the thing it picked up, for the rest of the match.

Comment

Ahhh...so if the robot and trailer are both partly in base, it sounds like you can grab both right? But then I thought you could remove cargo from the table if it is getting in your way, so you could remove the refrigerated truck and hold it until you are ready for it again.

Comment

Yes and Yes. You got it!

Comment

Is the starting position of the trailer-borne bacteria specified somewhere?
                      Bill Bourn
                      Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
                      Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

Originally posted by GWhizNonKid View Post
                        Yes, in the mission setup rules. Look at the bottom of page 9 in the "complete challenge" document; there's both a diagram & text.

Comment

Originally posted by GWhizNonKid View Post
                          No, it's not, and I see where you're going with this. You'll have to assume these red bacteria are placed randomly in the trailer.
                          Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by begotus View Post
                            No, it's not, and I see where you're going with this. You'll have to assume these red bacteria are placed randomly in the trailer.
                            I disagree that it's not defined. The starting position is defined in the field setup: "and two red go in the refrigerated trailer". "In" is defined in rule 21.

I will agree that since "in" means anywhere in, they will be randomly placed front/back/side etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
                              I disagree that it's not defined. The starting position is defined in the field setup: "and two red go in the refrigerated trailer". "In" is defined in rule 21.
                              Yes, their starting position is defined. No, the starting position of the trailer-borne bacteria is not specified (other than starting in the trailer), which was GWhizNonKid's question.

In this case, I don't think rule 21 is needed nor intended to figure out what "in" means. In fact, I would count on these bacteria not being balanced on the edge of the trailer in any official tournament setup, despite the fact that this would be "in" according to rule 21.
                              Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.
                              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X