Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the NXT Controller Brick allowed?

Hi,

Everyone has been so focused on what is meat, thermometer directions, and how to score 3 points per bacterium delivery, they've missed the biggest challenge of the season. If I'm reading the rules correctly, the NXT (and RCX) Controller Bricks are not an allowed equipment this season. In past years, the rules indicated that you could have 1 NXT Controller, but with the rewrite of the sensor list this year, that disappeared. Reading through the section, I end up at

No other electric elements nor devices are allowed for use in any way in the competition area.
    Should be a challenging season with no electrical power or computer control.

I've submitted this to FLL for clarification.

Jeff
    Jeff Bartig
    Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Re: Is the NXT Controller Brick allowed?

Jeff,

What you're describing is a condition of absurdity for FLL. The motor count limit of three indicates either an NXT or RCX remains a valid design basis, same as previous years.

DSE
    Tech Coach -- Team 7305

Comment

Warpdrive,

It may be absurd, but I do believe it is a mistake in the rules.

Jeff
      Jeff Bartig
      Wisconsin Region FLL Head Ref

Comment

It is an obvious absurdity, but I looked and the NXT Controller was specifically mentioned in last year's rules. This year's rules seem to use "robot" as a synonym for the NXT controller; there are things like "...robot, attachments, and other accessories...." which indicate that something must be there for those 6 sensors & 3 motors.

Interesting,but I'm not going to tell my kids to start redesigning.
        Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
        KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Us old-timers will remember when "Robot" was defined. For example, from NanoQuest: "The robot is defined as the main body containing the NXT (or RCX) controller, and any currently installed parts or attachments, whether the installation is a press fit or a loose fit." That definition got a former FLL team into difficulties when they attempted to use it as a definition for the Robot in FRC, which had no definition.

Also, former rules used to specify that a Robot could have one NXT or one RCX.

Comment

This topic is taken up in a prior thread How many NXT bricks are allowed?, in perhaps a more tongue-in-cheek fashion.

Originally posted by Jeff Bartig View Post
            If I'm reading the rules correctly, the NXT (and RCX) Controller Bricks are not an allowed equipment this season.
            I would argue that the RCX is allowed but not the NXT. See the above mentioned thread.
            Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by begotus View Post
              This topic is taken up in a prior thread How many NXT bricks are allowed?, in perhaps a more tongue-in-cheek fashion.

I would argue that the RCX is allowed but not the NXT. See the above mentioned thread.
              That's sarcasm, right?

Comment

Working...
              X