Trash Trek Scorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash Trek Scorer

The Wolves just finished the first draft of their online scoring app for Trash Trek.

Please check it out and give any feedback. It has full scoring as well as a timer and sketch capability. What other functions do teams want to see in it?

http://educatedrobot.com/trashtrek.html

Re: Trash Trek Scorer

Welp, saves us from having to update the one we've put out the last several years for Trash Trek, anyway.
    Twitter --- Facebook

Comment

Might be a little early but I like the initiative if kids are doing it. The combination of planner, notes, timer, scoring all in one is handy. I can see running a practice, scoring it, marking a few notes, screenshot and save. Maybe add "current datetime" so such a screenshot would record when that run took place.

[[ Itemized list of findings deleted... ]]
      POST EDIT: I thought back on this and decided some of this would spoil some teams (esp new teams) exercises of discovery. That is why I say "too early" above, things like showing 9 yellow bars is a simple but powerful discovery we should not take from teams in this first few weeks.

I am not weighing in on bin/bar logic yet...I think I need way more understanding of how things are to work.
      Last edited by dna1990; 08-26-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BakingSodaVolcano View Post
        Welp, saves us from having to update the one we've put out the last several years for Trash Trek, anyway.
        I did recognize the format right away, but the code looked different enough I assumed new...

Comment

Originally posted by dna1990 View Post
          I did recognize the format right away, but the code looked different enough I assumed new...
          Our javascript cleaned up, and mashed up with the Droid's sketcher, it looks like.

More power to them. The kids I had updating ours have moved on to FTC/FRC, and I had not talked to them yet to see if they wanted to update it to the new season after we all understand the game. We might update it, anyway, just so we don't break the streak.
          Twitter --- Facebook

Comment

The yellow bin should be allowed to score 50 or 60, but not both. (video says "also" but text says "or")
            Text says "score one or both."
            Team members and coaches in North Carolina, direct your rules questions to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by SamLast View Post
              Text says "score one or both."
              Yep, I stand corrected.

(it was all those colorful icons near the bottom of that page, got me all confuzelated...)

Comment

EV3Lessons.com now has an Interactive Sketch Planner to draw out missions as well as a Trash Trek Scorer.

We plan to keep it updated as rules get clarified or corrections need to be made. :-)
                EV3Lessons.com and FLLTutorials.com Founders
                FLL #51 World Festival Champion's 2018 (retired)
                FRC Not the Droids You Are Looking For (Rookie season 2020)

Comment

Another pet peeve of mind from a ref standpoint, is to phrase the scoresheets so that all the positive (point earning) items are the "yes" side. And yea, I know Scott's mission words make that hard in some cases...

But just as a example on the EV3Lesson offering, the Tower score has Yes for still standing (no points). For an online tool, it is less important - but on a printed or handwritten sheet as tournament - being able to scan down the whole list and look for things checked in left/right or yes/no columns - is very handy for both refs and teams.

Maybe I am one of those "visual" types. Just a observation.

Comment

Another pet peeve of mind from a ref standpoint, is to phrase the scoresheets so that all the positive (point earning) items are the "yes" side. And yea, I know Scott's mission words make that hard in some cases...

But just as a example on the EV3Lesson offering, the Tower score has Yes for still standing (no points). For an online tool, it is less important - but on a printed or handwritten sheet as tournament - being able to scan down the whole list and look for things checked in left/right or yes/no columns - is very handy for both refs and teams.

We agree with you. The problem we had was with Scott's wording. Having a negative in the phrasing (no pieces, never been in, ever...) caused a double negative sentence to select NO as the answer. We thought kids would get really confused trying to score themselves. Our goal was to convert the mission requirements into questions that were easy to understand. We plan to do another pass and try to rephrase Demolition and also the Sorting mission.

As an aside, we are working on an App version to add to the Apple App Store for the iphone as well. We are trying to figure out how to fund the project - would people pay for an app like that? or should we fundraise separately? It costs $100/yr to put an App in the App Store.

Comment

I forget the name now, but for several years there was a person that put together a good iPhone app. Seems like it was .99 type of price. But in the last few seasons, lots of free versions have popped up, and even last year - FIRST itself made that webpage version available.

What separated the offerings (for me) were how quickly and accurately they made updates.

I am hopeful the Droid's Donate button is being visited often.

Comment

I forget the name now, but for several years there was a person that put together a good iPhone app. Seems like it was .99 type of price. But in the last few seasons, lots of free versions have popped up, and even last year - FIRST itself made that webpage version available.

What separated the offerings (for me) were how quickly and accurately they made updates.

I am hopeful the Droid's Donate button is being visited often.
                        Thanks @dna1990. Our hope is to keep whatever scorers we make (and of course all our lessons too) updated often. We work on EV3Lessons every day and check for updates so keeping our material accurate will part of our job. The scorer on on our website (ev3lessons.com) is free, but we had a request to create an App version. Ideally, we would like to keep the App free too and just figure out a way to pay the "registration fee" at the back end for adding the App to the App Store, but there is always the option to charge $0.99.

We would like to say that with 15,000+ users in 120 countries, the Donate Button on EV3Lessons is visited often, but that is not the case. However, we have promised to keep maintaining EV3Lessons so we will do that, and keep adding useful material for FLL teams to use.

Thanks again,
                        EV3Lessons

Comment

Maybe I am one of those "visual" types. Just a observation.
                          I'd prefer that the "yes" conditions on the scoresheets mean that a task has been accomplished. "Yes you didn't knock the building over" is going to cause scoring errors. I don't care much about the scoring apps themselves, but I want the printed scoresheets used in my region of interest to be very difficult to mark incorrectly.
                          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your scorer. Some requests:
                            - add a score-clearing button
                            - add checks so that more than the actual number of each color bar can't be selected. I shouldn't be able to score 10 black bars in original position and 6 elsewhere on the board.
                            - recording based on today's update. I know you'd do that anyway, but for completeness...

As an aside I find it crazy that getting the toy airplane from the factory back to safety (a mission well within the grasp of rookie teams) only nets 8 points due to the black bars. I understand the desire to have teams further process them but putting them in the landfill is going to be tricky and the sorter even more so.
                            Last edited by someonewhobikes; 08-27-2015, 07:04 PM. Reason: I wasn't dead yet
                            Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                            KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

[QUOTE=someonewhobikes;95320]Thanks for sharing your scorer. Some requests:
                              - add a score-clearing button
                              - add checks so that more than the actual number of each color bar can't be selected. I shouldn't be able to score 10 black bars in original position and 6 elsewhere on the board.
                              - recording based on today's update. I know you'd do that anyway, but for completeness...
                              /QUOTE]

Great Feedback. Thank you! We have added a reset button and the error check mentioned. Haven't updated the version available on EV3Lessons.com yet, but will do so soon. We will also be adding the East & West chute correction from today's FLL Updates.

Also, we expect to have an Android App for the Trash Trek Scorer within the next 24-48 hours as soon as Google approves our account.

Comment

Working...
                              X