What's the maximum possible score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the maximum possible score?

Without telling how (it'd be best to let people generate their own ideas; it's not just coaches on the forums) I think the max possible score is 1134. Does that seem right?

I generated this with EV3 Lessons' scorer, not by hand. So - not to throw them under the bus - there may be a calculating error. If I generate a different score when I get back to our field I'll update this.

If you respond to this please don't provide details; just the score. We can discuss details via pm if necessary.
    Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
    KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Re: What's the maximum possible score?

That sounds about right. I had 1188 but that was working under a couple of misconceptions.
    Team members and coaches in North Carolina, direct your rules questions to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post
      Without telling how (it'd be best to let people generate their own ideas; it's not just coaches on the forums) I think the max possible score is 1134. Does that seem right?
      I calculate 1131 (and I have an idea where you might have gotten the extra three points which I think are incorrect).

Comment

CraigP getting 1131 confuses me. I went to school tonight and laid everything out, calculated, and got 1124. And found where I'd double counted when I plugged it into EV3 Lessons' calculator, so now I think 1134 isn't right.

The 3 point difference I'm pretty sure is correct; however there are 10 points where I may have crossed the line from "clever" to "absurd". And after last year's Robotics Competition mission, the coincidence of having 1114 be the high score is amusing.
        KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

The Wolves had a meeting today and one of the topics they discussed was the maximum score. Here are their results. I doubled checked them with the challenge doc, their scorer (educatedrobot.com/trashtrek.html) and EV3lessons scorer.

Worst case (berzerk robot): -96
          Point total if doing nothing at the table: 96
          Max at practice table: 976
          Max at competition table with no other team: 994
          Max at competition table with two cooperative teams: 1111
          Max at competition table with only one cooperative team: 1114

NOTE: They did find 10 additional "absurd" points (probably same as mentioned above) and another 10 points that would require "in their original Setup position" to allow for moving something back to it's setup position, thereby theoretically giving the maximum of 1134 points.

Comment

I think 1134 is correct -- In my 1131 score I'd caught one of the two increasingly-clever 10-point possibilities, but not the other. However, if you exclude both of those and regard the Wolves' 1114 point case as the maximum 'reasonable' score, then there is a 1121 point case that is just a 'reasonable'.

Comment

Craig, you have me curious now about that extra seven "reasonable" points. Just PM me.

Comment

Craig, you have me curious now about that extra seven "reasonable" points. Just PM me.
                now now, that isn't coopertition! LOL

Comment

With a maximum score over 1000 points, 8 (or even 16 depending on interpretation) penalty points isn't much of a deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                    With a maximum score over 1000 points, 8 (or even 16 depending on interpretation) penalty points isn't much of a deterrent.
                    Excellent point. Even more that penalties are capped at 4 occurrences.

Comment

True. The penalties were low for Senior Solutions and reasonably low for World Class, but they were very high for Nature's Fury.

It will be interesting to see how much the penalty hurts when we start seeing real scores vs theoretical.

Comment

After a conversation with educatedrobot I'm now reasonably convinced that the highest score I could rule on as a head ref is 1124. I would, however, have no quarrel with someone who only sees 1114 valid points. And only 10 points is nowhere near enough reward for the amount of work it would take to get above 1114, at least for what I'm thinking.

Comment

I can't wait to find the +3pts yall have.

Comment

I could easily be wrong at this juncture but I don't think the maximum score is going to be any more relevant to average scores at the regional and state level than it was in World Class.

A sizable chunk of those points are from things that have the potential to be extremely difficult.
                            Team members and coaches in North Carolina, direct your rules questions to [email protected]

Comment

After going through this once more, I'm now more confident with the 1131 theoretical maximum, acknowledging that 10 of those points are for something quite unusual which someone with more experience as an official ref than I have (i.e. none) would disallow. Thanks, educatedrobot, for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X