• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nedcook
    replied
    Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
    Is that some kind of spam?
    That was my immediate thought when I saw the post this morning.

Leave a comment:

• SkipMorrow
    replied
    Is that some kind of spam?

Leave a comment:

• Tom Mosher
    replied
    Re: Milking automation

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Our milk comes out even if we don't slide the cow in. As the scoring requirements are only that you use the red lever to move the milking machine and that you have released the milk, do we HAVE to slide in the cow?
    At a tournament, if you don't push the cow into the machine, it will not rotate.

Leave a comment:

• tjhawkey
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Our milk comes out even if we don't slide the cow in. As the scoring requirements are only that you use the red lever to move the milking machine and that you have released the milk, do we HAVE to slide in the cow?
    There are some blue axle/pins that are probably missing on a beam near the pushed cow.

Leave a comment:

• Dean Hystad
    replied

The milking automation model at your tournament will work correctly (cannot be turned without fist pushing the cow). You should fix yours so the cow locks it in the starting position. Only then can you determine if your solution works. I wonder if you are starting the machine in the correct position. The lever should line up with markings on the mat. When you pull the cow out, pins should engage slots in the base, preventing the turntable from turning.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• daenamd@gmail.com
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pnpgator
    replied

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
    Our club has 10 new rookie teams this year. I don't think a single one of them will get the milking automation on their own. Good mentoring opportunity for the couple of existing teams. That said, Animal Allies is not very rookie friendly. I hope to be surprised by the rookie teams as the kids push to creatively crack some of the missions.
    I would think that M01-Shark Tank, M02-Warning Fence and M011 Collecting the Pig are very doable. Beehive and refrigerator can be done but could be challenging to get working consistently. If you can get some food, then the Gorilla is an easy drive out. The rest might be harder but as you say, hopefully the kids surprise you. Last year my rookies definitely got further than I thought they would.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Mosher
    replied

Originally posted by WilliamFrantz View Post
    I'm a little worried about the interpretation of M06, "the Robot’s only movement of the Milk and/or Manure came by moving the red lever". It says "only" but does that mean "ever"? Does this restriction apply at all times?

I'm assuming there's no penalty for jostling the milk while pushing the cow into the machine even though this could be considered "moving the milk" without the red lever. I'm also assuming that incidental contact with the machine would incur no penalty as long as the robot is primarily using the red lever to turn the contraption.

However, are the scores for M06 and M13 effectively a "score only one" situation? Clearly the robot cannot get the milk completely into base by only moving the red lever. The robot would have to retrieve the milk and transport it back to base to score M13. As soon as the robot starts transporting the milk do we forfeit the points we earned in M06 releasing the milk?

Obviously the same question would apply when scoring M06 and M14.
    The scope of M06 is getting the milk and/or manure out of the milking machine. There are an additional missions that uses the milk after M06 has been accomplished.

Scores for M06, M13, and M14 are all based on the location of the milk objects at the end of the match. The way the game is structured, it seems like the team must have accomplished M06 in order to also accomplish either M13 or M14.

Leave a comment:

• cschaffer
    replied

Originally posted by dnb View Post
    On few occasions I've told my veteran teams, "You're doing something that would look like magic to a rookie team."
    Our club has 10 new rookie teams this year. I don't think a single one of them will get the milking automation on their own. Good mentoring opportunity for the couple of existing teams. That said, Animal Allies is not very rookie friendly. I hope to be surprised by the rookie teams as the kids push to creatively crack some of the missions.

Leave a comment:

• timdavid
    replied

Originally posted by dnb View Post
    On few occasions I've told my veteran teams, "You're doing something that would look like magic to a rookie team." cshaffer's anecdote below is a great example. Well done in 5 minutes!
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

...obligatory quote from Arthur C. Clarke

Leave a comment:

• dnb
    replied

On few occasions I've told my veteran teams, "You're doing something that would look like magic to a rookie team." cshaffer's anecdote below is a great example. Well done in 5 minutes!

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
    The milk mission was (insanely) the first one that they did. From base, they drove for the closer black line, then drove to the second, budging the cow in. Then they used a line follower to push the red lever around clockwise. They stopped, and backed out. Only the milk came out and no manure (or "chocolate milk as they call it). The programmer said "I guess we are done".

It took them 5 total minutes given that line (and an existing line following myblock).

Leave a comment:

• cschaffer
    replied

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
    am I the only one that thinks the line around the manure area is silly?
    If you are talking about the fat black line, I don't think my kids would think it is silly. The milk mission was (insanely) the first one that they did. From base, they drove for the closer black line, then drove to the second, budging the cow in. Then they used a line follower to push the red lever around clockwise. They stopped, and backed out. Only the milk came out and no manure (or "chocolate milk as they call it). The programmer said "I guess we are done".

It took them 5 total minutes given that line (and an existing line following myblock).

Was there some luck involved? sure! it shouldnt have been that easy, but it was for them. All because of the silly line.

could the line be better, by having a crossing line to show when to stop? Sure. but with a line is better for us than not having a line at all.

Leave a comment:

• WilliamFrantz
    replied

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
    The restriction only applies to the mission. Once the milk and/or manure are dispensed the mission is over, as is the restriction.
    I agree that seems the most reasonable interpretation, but is there any definition for a mission being "over"? I don't think that concept exists. All these missions are scored using "visible at the end of the match" criteria. For example, if later during the match, some piece of equipment inadvertently bumps the milking machine and causes the manure to drop, I'm pretty sure we'd lose 5 point even though the mission was over a long time ago.

Again, it doesn't make sense to apply the red bar restriction after the milk has left the dispenser but it seems like an oversight in the description and/or rules.

Leave a comment:

• Dean Hystad
    replied

The restriction only applies to the mission. Once the milk and/or manure are dispensed the mission is over, as is the restriction.

Don't overthink things, at least not in ways that add restrictions.

As an aside, am I the only one that thinks the line around the manure area is silly?

Leave a comment:

• WilliamFrantz
    replied

I'm a little worried about the interpretation of M06, "the Robot’s only movement of the Milk and/or Manure came by moving the red lever". It says "only" but does that mean "ever"? Does this restriction apply at all times?

I'm assuming there's no penalty for jostling the milk while pushing the cow into the machine even though this could be considered "moving the milk" without the red lever. I'm also assuming that incidental contact with the machine would incur no penalty as long as the robot is primarily using the red lever to turn the contraption.

However, are the scores for M06 and M13 effectively a "score only one" situation? Clearly the robot cannot get the milk completely into base by only moving the red lever. The robot would have to retrieve the milk and transport it back to base to score M13. As soon as the robot starts transporting the milk do we forfeit the points we earned in M06 releasing the milk?

Obviously the same question would apply when scoring M06 and M14.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X