Build day for FLL 2017: Tips and Suggestions for Your Build Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build day for FLL 2017: Tips and Suggestions for Your Build Day

Build day for FLL 2017: Tips and Suggestions for Your Build Day: Video Overview, 360 degree view, and Photos

Today we built our three field kits for Hydro Dynamics. Follow the link to see tips for build day, video overview, 360 degree image of the room, and photos.

Info is here:
    https://techbrick.com/fll-resources/...-day-2017-tips
    Enjoy...

2017 FLL Resources are here:
    https://techbrick.com/fll-resources/fll2017

Check out all the new mats at RobotMats!
    https://robotmats.com/

// Marco

Marco Ciavolino
    [email protected]
    http://www.techbrick.com

TechBrick Robotics
    JrFLL / FLL / FTC / FRC
    Checkout our free resources at:
    http://www.techbrick.com

The kids built the faucet model and when you rotate the handle to get the water to blue it returns to white over time as the handle slips back, did they build it wrong or is that what happens?
    Thanks for you help.
    FPMS FLL Coach

Comment

Last edited by davidh2davidh2; 09-20-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fpmsfll View Post
        The kids built the faucet model and when you rotate the handle to get the water to blue it returns to white over time as the handle slips back, did they build it wrong or is that what happens?
        Ours stays where you leave it, no slipping back.

Comment

Originally posted by davidh2davidh2 View Post
          Our water treatment plant model doesn't fall smoothly or reliably when the toilet handle is depressed. Sometimes multiple depressions are required. Anyone else having issues with this, or have suggestions on how to smooth out the motion. We've checked the build, and for obvious interference issues. Just seems like the gearing for the inertial damper (spinning mechanism) is way to high. Thoughts?
          What happens if you hold down the lever? One of our toilets' lever stays down; the other needs to be held down. I'm not sure which behavior is correct; I'm hoping someone on the Head Refs' forums knows. I'm also planning on spending some time at our meeting tomorrow comparing the two models to try & spot the differences.

Another thing to check is for binding of the axle connectors under the black pipes. Can you easily turn the toilet end of the axle by hand after disconnecting the toilet? Also try disconnecting the axle at the treatment plant and triggering it by hand - does it fall smoothly then?
          Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
          KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Last edited by davidh2davidh2; 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Model works reliably and smoothly now. We rechecked the build still not smooth. Then applied a drop of silicon lube to the moving parts, spinning rods, gears etc.... works like a charm now. Very smooth and reliable.
              and most likely your robot work be able to handle the one in the competition because that model wont have the silicon lube on it.
              Did the directions for the model says to use the silicon? Mine didnt seem to have any such reference.

----

My advice for my team would be to not count on this model working in the competition or figure out a way to make every time work no matter how the model is built.

Comment

Originally posted by cschaffer View Post
                My advice for my team would be to not count on this model working in the competition or figure out a way to make every time work no matter how the model is built.
                +1

My advice is to put the models apart and and and treating them with a round of washing machine (at least with a german one. There are not that brutal as american ones).
                Possibly a rebuild will fix the problems.

I simply count that the models should behave as expected and force the kids to recheck. After that the number of superflous parts where reduced ....
                (+_+)(-_-)(_ _)

Comment

Model works reliably and smoothly now. We rechecked the build still not smooth. Then applied a drop of silicon lube to the moving parts, spinning rods, gears etc.... works like a charm now. Very smooth and reliable.
                  This is a Very Bad Idea. Your team needs to be able to handle mission models that don't work well, and you've just made yours the easiest M06 to operate in your entire region.
                  Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                  KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

This is a big disservice to your team. The mission models at a tournament are guaranteed to not have been lubricated, as that's not allowed. If anything, your team should practice with the worst-functioning mission model set you can arrange - then nothing at a tournament will phase them.
                    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

davidh2davidh2 - Welcome to the Forum! We're glad you're here.

BTW - lube is illegal anywhere in FLL. (It falls under rule R1.) Even well behaved lube like silicon or graphite. If a tiny amount gets on a mat during competition, it can adversely affect other teams hugely. Trying to keep those pivot balls from sticking? You can clean them, but you can't lube them. Cleaning your rubber tires is a great practice, but using adhesive tape to "remove the dirt" from wheels will get you disqualified in most regions. You've inadvertently touched a hot button here.

And the stalwarts are absolutely right, you want your team's practice models to be worst case.

Comment

Working...
                      X