Pump system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump system

When attached to the wall, is the pump system supposed to be resting on the mat? In that case, does it matter if it's secured to the wall or the mat? Our walls are going to be made out of foam insulation, and I am not sure how many secure/release cycles they'll withstand, so I'm thinking of securing the pump to the mat instead.

(Rookie coach here, and so if I am missing something obvious, I apologize). Adding to the question above - In the field set up guide, in the steps for pump system, step 1 says locate dual lock pairs exactly and in the places shown. I don't see any locations for dual lock for the pump system on the map. Am I supposed to place it on the back of the model and attach it to the north wall?

Comment

Originally posted by ae5880 View Post
      When attached to the wall, is the pump system supposed to be resting on the mat? In that case, does it matter if it's secured to the wall or the mat? Our walls are going to be made out of foam insulation, and I am not sure how many secure/release cycles they'll withstand, so I'm thinking of securing the pump to the mat instead.
      Step 1 of the advanced setup said "STEP 1: Locate Dual Lock pairs exactly and only in the places shown."

The places shows are on the wall, and step 2 says to secure it to the wall.
      You are welcome to secure it however you want, but note that the above is the only official way to secure it.

Securing it to the mat and not the wall could affect how your robot interacts with the the model and how the model reacts to the robot. If you want to have a better chance of the mission acting like it would in competition, attaching it as officially described might be better

Comment

I tried enlarging the picture for the placement of the velcro on the pump... I hope I got it correct - the pump is secured to the wall quite well...so I think it is correct. From distortion on the picture (was not too clear when enlarged) I believe it takes 6 squares.... each section (they look like music notes to me) has 3.... the straight grey plate on the fat "note" part has 2 - one placed near the top of the plate and 1 near the bottom - then the higher grey plate (the stem of the note) has one square at the bottom of the plate... both pump sections done the same. I believe attaching the pump to the wall is to brace it and make it more sturdy. I hope this makes sense

Comment

Also keep in mind that since this is a wall-attached mission model, that exact table size (and variability) will be important to plan for. We tend to see tables in our area built slightly over-sized as the plywood most people buy is larger than 4'x8'. Or the wall material is slightly narrower than a traditional 2x4. So the inside dimension from the south wall to the north wall may be different from your practice table to a tournament environment.

The mat will be aligned along the south border wall, and if the table is slightly over-sized, a gap will be present along the north edge. And that wall-attached pump system may be slightly further from base than the team designed for. Or the opposite if your practice table is larger than what the tournament provides.

Same applies to east/west, as the mat will be centered on a over-sized table. So Slingshot missions for example may need to consider that.

Comment

Originally posted by ae5880 View Post
            How about creating a thin U-shaped bracket (I'm thinking about cereal box cardboard) to go over your foam wall, and attaching the dual lock for your pump to that? You'd have to find a way to keep the bracket from moving, but you probably have some younger minds available to put on that engineering problem.
            Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
            KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post

How about creating a thin U-shaped bracket (I'm thinking about cereal box cardboard) to go over your foam wall, and attaching the dual lock for your pump to that? You'd have to find a way to keep the bracket from moving, but you probably have some younger minds available to put on that engineering problem.
              thank you, will try that!

Comment

I emailed [email protected] for clarification on the placement of the velcro. Mike responded with the attached image.

Velcro Locations.jpg

Comment

All, I want to know how you guys have fixed the pump mission block.
                  The field mat has a 5mm black border. If I place the pump using the markings on the mat (there is a reference line just next to the map indicator) and the mission block resides inside the 5mm black peripheral border. So, if you used the Dual lock on the back of the pump, it still wouldn't touch the North wall of the table due to the gap.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by [email protected]; 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM. Reason: see pictures attached

Comment

The pump model is attached to the wall. Use the mat to set the East/West alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by dlwight View Post
                      I emailed [email protected] for clarification on the placement of the velcro. Mike responded with the attached image.

Velcro Locations.jpg

Thanks for the image.
                      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
                        The pump model is attached to the wall. Use the mat to set the East/West alignment.
                        Agreed. It gets attached to the North wall. There will be a gap due to the thickness of the dual lock. That is as designed.
                        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Agree. That "line" on the mat is only a East/West guide. The North/South relation of the Pump to the Mat - will vary. As discussed by at least the thickness of the dual wall to the wall, but also exact table size and how much "north wall gap" exists after pulling mat to south wall. Tables built slightly oversize will have this issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X