M04 - crater crossing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
    From what I can tell, reading the forum, the game updates, and talking to referees, nobody knows what should and should not score. If you drive your robot over the crater crossing model you will score. Beyond that it is a crap shoot.
    Indeed.

Do the towers extend vertically to infinity?
    In this referee's opinion, Yes.

FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

The crossing equipment was never required to touch the gate. It's a two-part mission:
      - Flatten the Gate.
      - Some equipment crosses between the towers.

Under U08, even the order of those steps doesn't matter.
      I wonder how many participants in this debate are using the US rules. US rules have never required the crossing equipment to do anything to the gate other than cross it. Before U08 the gate had to be flattened before the equipment completely crossed, now the gate has to be flattened at the end of match

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post

I wonder how many participants in this debate are using the US rules. US rules have never required the crossing equipment to do anything to the gate other than cross it. Before U08 the gate had to be flattened before the equipment completely crossed, now the gate has to be flattened at the end of match
        Having different rules for different regions makes it extra complicated.

Comment

I'm a regional head referee. Thrown objects don't have any weight-bearing features, so that part of the rule doesn't apply. There is no upper or lower limit on the height of a projectile when it passes between the towers.

Under U08, the Gate also has to be completely flattened before the end of the match.
          Is there a rule against projectiles hitting an unsuspecting referee and causing bodily damage?

Comment

• I was just surprised by the cavalier answer in that email exchange. The query makes it clear that the crossing equipment does not flatten the gate and the response seems to simply say, "that would score."

Wouldn't we have expected the response to say, "as long as the gate is flattened"? At some point? By something?

You know, this would have been much clearer if the rules said, "only the crossing equipment is allowed to touch the gate." That would have clearly delineated "crossing equipment" vs other equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by WilliamFrantz View Post
              Again, perhaps that was the intent but it seems odd to me.
              I think "intent" is the main cause of mission confusion. When you read the rules you should only be looking for "WHAT", but I think it is in most people's nature to also look for "WHY". The crater crossing model and "simply speaking" text gives the impression that the team must drive something across the terrain. The rules do not say this. I would go as far as to say the rules don't even imply this. The implication is created by the name of the mission and the appearance of the mission model.

Update U06 does tell us the intent of the mission is to make something cross the crater model, but even though intent is now clear, it has nothing to do with how the mission has to be solved. Nowhere in the "Strictly Speaking" or any game update does it say the equipment has to touch the crater surface, so even if the "intent" is to drive over the model, teams should not feel compelled to do so.
              Last edited by Dean Hystad; 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ae5880 View Post

Is there a rule against projectiles hitting an unsuspecting referee and causing bodily damage?
                Throwing objects seems like a terrible idea at an event where no one is required to wear eye protection.

Comment

Throwing objects seems like a terrible idea at an event where no one is required to wear eye protection.
                  My co-coach looking at the robot: "That arm can throw".

Comment

For years, my teams have had a blast throwing pieces around. In particular, they did well throwing the key from Community Learning in 2014 back to base. It's hard for the robot to reach speeds to cause real injury. (Though obviously technically anything could)

Comment

Working...
                    X