No announcement yet.

Lander Release doesn't release lander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lander Release doesn't release lander?

Both of my FLL teams are having trouble with the Lander Release tower. When they press on the orange bar, the tower twists instead of releasing the lander. Each of my teams built their Lander Release independent of each other based on the instructions here: https://firstinspiresst01.blob.core....5806_BAG_4.pdf

I wonder if both teams made mistakes while building the models, but I haven't been able to spot any discrepancies. I looked closely at the red axles added in step 34, but those look to be correct. I put some videos and photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/u7Tv9PFT5HLRUZ6L6

One of my team members decided to replace the black connector used in step 38 with a low-friction medium-grey connector like in step 39. With that substitution, the model operates as we would expect when the orange bar is depressed; however, it is a very sensitive trigger.

Are you having trouble with the Lander Release tower? Can you help me find our mistake?

Thanks!

The lower gears are hard to see in the video but, it looks like there is a problem with the construction around step 21. the gear is moving to the rear in the video when you push the bar. It almost looks like the black gear frame in step 21 is missing from your model.
    FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

I see the black gear frame in the photos and it looks correct.
      You need the black pin in 38 to keep the friction and to hold it closed.
      Also, I see that you have the element from step 45 upside down.
      I think that there is a problem with the build at about step 21 but, I would have to see a video of the gears by the push bar.
      Good Luck.

Comment

After looking at the video again, I can see the aqua element just above the gear frame moving like it should. There is something binding the U-joint at the top or after that. Disconnect the U-joint and see if the axle moves freely. Can you twist the U-joint by hand and make the jaws open?

Comment

I changed the gear engagement inside the U-join by one gear tooth, as indicated with a green check-mark in step 46. Now depressing the orange bar releases the lander. It's still very stiff, but it works. Thanks for pointing me to the U-joint specifically!

Comment

Great, glad you found it. Have a great season!

Comment

Working...
            X