Meteoroid Deflection - Correct Build/Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteoroid Deflection - Correct Build/Placement

The build instructions for the Meteoroid Deflection mission model differ from what is shown in the Challenge Guide. The Challenge Update on August 14th says to use the build instructions and "ignore the slight difference in the pictures of the challenge guide." That is fine, but the square on the mat to attach the Dual Lock match up with the picture in the Challenge guide, but not how it turns out with the build instructions. What are the correct mounting positions given this change, further East or West?

I submitted this question to FIRST almost a month ago and got a very unhelpful response of "follow the mission building instructions". I repeated the question stating that the placement is not in the building instructions and needs to be defined so that the placement on all competition mats should be the same. I have heard nothing since. I have no idea why they have in the past few years gotten worse and worse about answering fundamental questions. I think they just want to hide behind the expect some variation in mat rule. It is frustrating as a coach to try to explain to kids that maybe we should not do this mission because of the unknown variability.

Comment

I built our fields based on the instructions, and the meteroid catcher lines up correctly with the mat. I'm not with our fields, but I believe the difference was in how the base of the catcher (the thick part that holds the feet that attach to the mat) is backwards in the rules picture. If no one else provides a better explanation I'll post again on Tuesday after I've had a chance to look at our fields.
      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

I contacted First with this question:

The attached photo shows the catcher constructed pursuant to the model building instructions and update U01 in position on the mat.
        When the Meteoroid Catcher is built pursuant to the instructions, the middle dual lock position marked on the mat is in the wrong position.
        If you flip the model over, as pictured in the Challenge Guide and in the Field Setup Guide, then the model fits on the mat and lines up with the dual lock positions.
        Question, what is the correct orientation of the model placement on the mat.
        Do we position it as pictured in the building instructions or, do we position it as depicted in the Challenge Guide and Field Setup Guide? U01 did not seem to address this problem with the markings on the mat, only that it should be built as instructed in the build instructions.

The response from First was:

Based on the photo, it appears that you have the build correct, but the orientation wrong. In this case, you would need to flip the model upside-down and rotate the white beams 180 degrees.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
        Attached Files
        FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

Based upon the response from first, you follow the build instructions but, for placement, follow the Challenge Guide and the marks on the mat and the Field Set Up Guide.

Here is the correct placement according to First's response to my email.
          Attached Files
          FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

That's pretty confusing, because update U02 says to build it like it says in the model build instructions (this image from the Bag 8 instructions)...

Catcher.JPG

... and to ignore the images in the "challenge" manual.
            FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

So, from what I'm seeing here, it sounds like there needs to be a clarification to U02. I personally hope the way DJR's is done ends up correct. I think it make the most sense with the Dual Lock squares and it is a very simple adjustment.

Comment

Let me give you a semi-official clarification

The model must be built according to the build instructions. Next you flip the entire model over, and then rotate the white beams, such that they align with the dual lock.
                The model will still hold true to the build instructions, but will just not match the picture from the Challenge Guide.

The picture that DJR posted above shows the correct placement.

Alan Green
                Head Referee Israel
                FIRST LEGO League Global Head Referee

Comment

Originally posted by alanggreen View Post
                  The model must be built according to the build instructions. Next you flip the entire model over, and then rotate the white beams, such that they align with the dual lock. The model will still hold true to the build instructions, but will just not match the picture from the Challenge Guide.
                  That make sense to me. The dual lock squares line up perfectly and nothing had to be changed as far as the build directions.

Comment

Originally posted by alanggreen View Post
                    ... and then rotate the white beams, such that they align with the dual lock.
                    So, in the image I posted, do the white beams rotate around the area with the yellow bushings?

I don't have a set of models handy, but I will have to train some referees on how to set up the tables. So I need a little more clarity in the instructions. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

So, in the image I posted, do the white beams rotate around the area with the yellow bushings?

I don't have a set of models handy, but I will have to train some referees on how to set up the tables. So I need a little more clarity in the instructions. Thanks!
                      All you need to do from your picture is to keep the white beam base stationary, flop the black beams over 180 degrees (towards the upper left in your picture), then place it on the mat.
                      Kansas City Region Head Ref 2014-present
                      KC Region coaches and teams can ask FLL robot game rules questions at [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

Yes, the model rotates around the yellow bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by someonewhobikes View Post

All you need to do from your picture is to keep the white beam base stationary, flop the black beams over 180 degrees (towards the upper left in your picture), then place it on the mat.
                          When you have a model to play with, you'll see that this description of what you need to do is exactly correct.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I understand now.

Comment

Working...
                            X