X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someonewhobikes
    replied
    Originally posted by sbuzz View Post
    Now, our robot is not carrying the satellites, but merely pushing them in a box made by the team, hence, when we pick up the robot after interruption, the satellites and box do not come with it, and we have to pick up the satellites and box separately, as they are not "attached" to the robot, but only "touching". Does this count as being "in contact" according to D10? Are we allowed to take the satellites and box back for re-launch? I hope so.
    Since neither "touching" or "contact" are defined in the rules, per GP2 we're to use the "common conversational meaning." I believe you're safe to say that "touching" counts as "in contact", especially since my Merriam-Webster has "to be in contact with (something)" as the 2nd definition for "touch". Certainly, if you're in my region that's the definition that would be used.

However, note that "in contact" does not mean "in the general area" or "close." But I'm guessing that if the robot is actually pushing the box of satellites, it'll still be in contact.

Leave a comment:

• sbuzz
    replied
    Thank you both. That is very helpful.

Dean, for background, the team is a rookie team of 9 year old kids, and yes, we will certainly be practicing to avoid the mistake, but I would also like for them to be prepared for things that don't go the way they planned, and not be surprised at the table.They are still learning all the rules and when things like this happen they are able to better understand and remember them!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Mosher
    replied
    Most refs will consider objects being pushed as being transported,. So you should get the objects back, unless they lost contact with the robot obviously before the interruption occurred.

Leave a comment:

• Dean Hystad
    replied
    Does it matter? Would you change your strategy just because there is a small chance that you will run the wrong program and not notice until the robot and cargo have left base? I would spend my time trying to come up ways to make it less likely the team will make this mistake.

Now if you are interested in the answer because you plan to ref at a tournament or for some esoteric reason, the answer is yes. Items in a box (even a bottomless box) that is being pushed by the robot are being transported. If the items started in base and are being transported when you interrupt the robot, you take the items back to base along with the robot.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sbuzz
    started a topic Interruption and Transporting rule clarification

Interruption and Transporting rule clarification

We have come across a scenario during our practices, where the kids have launched the wrong program by mistake, immediately recognized the fact, and interrupted the robot to relaunch. But the robot + transported items have already crossed base. Reading the rules "R14 Interrupting" and "D10 Transported", we understand that we can take back the transported item (satellites, in this case) and relaunch (taking the penalty, ofcourse)

Now, our robot is not carrying the satellites, but merely pushing them in a box made by the team, hence, when we pick up the robot after interruption, the satellites and box do not come with it, and we have to pick up the satellites and box separately, as they are not "attached" to the robot, but only "touching". Does this count as being "in contact" according to D10? Are we allowed to take the satellites and box back for re-launch? I hope so.

Thank you
Working...
X