Height of the table edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of the table edge

When I saw someone discussing the ultrasonic sensor in the other post and reminded me to ask this.

Last year during competition, we saw tables with lower edge than the table we had. The reason why we know that is when our robot tried to square at the wall as usual and it ran out of the edge (of course partially), and the kids had to add two beams at the bottom of the robot side wall at the field.

I did remember the rule says it is something between 2-1/2 and 3-15/16 so I thought that was not an issue.

We got our table from a veteran team, and did not build the edge by ourselves, and we did not really measure the edge height.

However, I just measured the edge of our table recently to discuss with the kids how high the wheels they put on the side of the robot should be. To my surprise, the edge of our table is exactly 2-1/2. That means the table we had during competition did not meet the requirement.

I guess we need to pay more attention to the competition table this year.

The table walls can be made of either "2x4" or "2x3" lumber (US dimensions).
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by OllyLi View Post
      To my surprise, the edge of our table is exactly 2-1/2. That means the table we had during competition did not meet the requirement..
      Yes, it sounds like you are correct. The actual measurement of a 2x3 board in the US is 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"... so their wall should have been 2.5 inches or higher.

Comment

If a Qualifier table is under 2.5" tall, that should be reported to your region's Partner. It sounds funny to me, though, why would any Qualifier Director do that or allow that?

Comment

When I saw someone discussing the ultrasonic sensor in the other post and reminded me to ask this.

Last year during competition, we saw tables with lower edge than the table we had. The reason why we know that is when our robot tried to square at the wall as usual and it ran out of the edge (of course partially), and the kids had to add two beams at the bottom of the robot side wall at the field.

I did remember the rule says it is something between 2-1/2 and 3-15/16 so I thought that was not an issue.

We got our table from a veteran team, and did not build the edge by ourselves, and we did not really measure the edge height.

However, I just measured the edge of our table recently to discuss with the kids how high the wheels they put on the side of the robot should be. To my surprise, the edge of our table is exactly 2-1/2. That means the table we had during competition did not meet the requirement.

I guess we need to pay more attention to the competition table this year.
          this makes no sense. A "veteran" team table would likely have 2x4 walls because 2x3 walls is fairly new. New tables should have 2x3 walls. The wall you describe is around 2 inces tall. I cannot get 2" wide lumber at my home improvement store. A 2" board would need to be ripped to width.

I don't doubt your ability to use a tape measure, but 2" tall walls around the table is really strange. That's the kind of thing you have to do on purpose.
          Last edited by Dean Hystad; 11-12-2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rbbbbb View Post
            If a Qualifier table is under 2.5" tall, that should be reported to your region's Partner. It sounds funny to me, though, why would any Qualifier Director do that or allow that?
            I am surprised, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post

this makes no sense. A "veteran" team table would likely have 2x4 walls because 2x3 walls is fairly new. New tables should have 2x3 walls. The wall you describe is around 2 inces tall. I cannot get 2" wide lumber at my home improvement store. A 2" board would need to be ripped to width.

I don't doubt your ability to use a tape measure, but 2" tall walls around the table is really strange. That's the kind of thing you have to do on purpose.
              I am not clear about the history, but when I said "veteran", I meant a team competed two years ago in 2016. We just started on 2017.
              And yes, I was really surprised to realize our table edge is 2-1/2 and recall the other table was shorter than ours. Maybe they mistakenly put the wood around the bottom board, instead of on top of it. But again, they would have to cut the bottom board in a weird size. No clue how that happened.

And to be precise, I recall the kids had to add one beam on the bottom of the robot side wall, then they added another one just to be safe. So it is taller than 2"

Comment

Yesterday I saw the team volunteered to bring their table to the tournament had a foam wall, instead a 2x4 or 2x3 wood walls. Maybe that was what caused the wrong height of edge on the table we used last year.

Comment

Yesterday I saw the team volunteered to bring their table to the tournament had a foam wall, instead a 2x4 or 2x3 wood walls. Maybe that was what caused the wrong height of edge on the table we used last year.
                  A foam table would not be officially legal at a tournament.
                  FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

At past tournaments we've seen tables of mixed heights. This season I built a new table and saw this in the build instructions:
                    "All border walls must be the same height as each other on any and all tables at a tournament". Our state tournament director agreed to settle on the lower walls, YMMV. Not a big deal either way, but it is nice for the team to prepare for a consistent wall height as opposed to having them change table by table.

Comment

All official tables in Iowa are supplied by Iowa State University, which is great for table consistency. All tables use 2x4 sides (which caused problems for our team on one mission because their practice table has 2x3 walls) and the floor is made of 1 inch thick Gator Board (essentially heavy duty foam board) instead of plywood. It seems to work well and it has a big advantage of being very lightweight.
                      Last edited by jasponti; 12-11-2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I started coaching FLL in 2009, so my table was constructed using 2x4 boards. Last year, I finally converted it to 2x3 to match the majority of tournaments in our area. Conversion took me 20 min. to paint the boards (optional) and another 30-40 jmin. to install them. Considering all the endless hours we spend as coach volunteers, this was a rather trivial task .
                        Legolympians - 2009-2015 (retired - joined FRC team 5422 Stormgears)
                        Legolicious - 5th year girls team
                        Brick Force - 2nd year boys team

2015 - Mass FLL coach of the year.

Comment

Working...
                        X