Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M01 - Space Travel - attachments to payload?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M01 - Space Travel - attachments to payload?

The students were wondering if they could attach something to the payload that stays with it and rolls down the ramp with it. I assume that this would be forbidden since any attached piece would be considered a bit of our "equipment" but I wanted to ask to make sure.

Anything you bring is "equipment". No points because the cart is not independent.

Comment

Originally posted by jesseputnam View Post
      I assume that this would be forbidden since any attached piece would be considered a bit of our "equipment"
      You are correct.

FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Not contradicting the other posts here - you can't attach anything - however, there's no prohibition to making your own "cart" to drop on the track. That cart could be of any design you wanted and wouldn't necessarily prevent scoring on the Space Travel mission. Whether that's helpful or not really depends on what you were trying to do by attaching something to one of the existing carts...

Comment

The Technically Speaking section of the mission specifically mentions 3 specific Payloads and their point values. These are also mentioned in the Field Setup document. If you made your own cart it wouldn't be a Vehicle, Supply or Crew payload and therefore it would not score.

Alan
          Global head referee

Comment

You're assuming the point of putting something on the track was to score more carts. What if the idea was to manipulate the solar panel? Or the 3D printer? Dropping your own "cart" on the track could serve whatever purpose is being consider for adding something to an existing cart model - without preventing any/all of the existing carts to score.

Comment

Originally posted by BlandGuy View Post
              Not contradicting the other posts here - you can't attach anything - however, there's no prohibition to making your own "cart" to drop on the track. That cart could be of any design you wanted and wouldn't necessarily prevent scoring on the Space Travel mission. Whether that's helpful or not really depends on what you were trying to do by attaching something to one of the existing carts...
              The mission rule requires that "the cart must be independent by the time it reaches the first track connection". "Independent" means "not in contact with any of your Equipment".

Comment

You're assuming the point of putting something on the track was to score more carts. What if the idea was to manipulate the solar panel? Or the 3D printer? Dropping your own "cart" on the track could serve whatever purpose is being consider for adding something to an existing cart model - without preventing any/all of the existing carts to score.
                That is true.

Comment

So, that's an interesting point. Didn't I just read here somewhere that the cart mission wasn't "end-of-the-match" conditions (something about not being underlined)? So you roll a custom cart down the track, then tilt the rover cart and possibly place the crew and payload carts subsequently. Assuming all carts are independent before they cross the first joint and subsequently completely cross that first joint, you should score all three carts even if they contact your custom cart at the bottom of the ramp. If your ref is going to withhold scoring for the rover cart running into your custom cart at the bottom of the track (something that I wouldn't do as a referee), at least the other two carts would still score...

Comment

So, that's an interesting point. Didn't I just read here somewhere that the cart mission wasn't "end-of-the-match" conditions (something about not being underlined)? So you roll a custom cart down the track, then tilt the rover cart and possibly place the crew and payload carts subsequently. Assuming all carts are independent before they cross the first joint and subsequently completely cross that first joint, you should score all three carts even if they contact your custom cart at the bottom of the ramp. If your ref is going to withhold scoring for the rover cart running into your custom cart at the bottom of the track (something that I wouldn't do as a referee), at least the other two carts would still score...
                    There is nothing preventing you from rolling hundreds of items down the track and there is no restriction on how any of the items are rolled down the track OTHER THAN PAYLOADS THAT YOU WANT TO SCORE. Payloads must be independent while crossing the first joint in the track. That's it. No more restrictions. It doesn't matter if they are independent before they reach the joint. It doesn't matter if they are independent after they cross the first joint (If more than one payload is delivered it is usually the case that they are not independent at the end of match). It doesn't matter if the payloads remain on the track. I suppose you could even remove the payloads and run them down the track again and again though you wouldn't get any more points.

Comment

Working...
                    X