Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the robot have to come back to base at the end of the missions within time limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the robot have to come back to base at the end of the missions within time limit

I am confused whether the robot has to come back to base at the end of the missions within the time limit. Does the robot need to get back to base in time at the end once completing all your missions within the time limit or do you lose points for this?

The robot never has to return to base. You are only penalized if you touch the robot outside base DURING THE RUN. Once time runs out you can touch the robot without incurring a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
      The robot never has to return to base. You are only penalized if you touch the robot outside base DURING THE RUN. Once time runs out you can touch the robot without incurring a penalty.
      Thanks!

Comment

To clarify a bit, it's my understanding that per the Into Orbit rules, you can interact with the robot to turn it OFF if it's completed your intended missions, even if time is still running. As always, make sure to read your Challenge Guide!

Comment

NEVER touch the robot during the match, even if your team is done without asking the ref for permission to stop it. They CAN penalize you even if you finished the missions because they don't know what the robot was intended to do.
          ~Megan(Head programmer and meeting leader for World Championship Qualifying team, Gryfftherclaw)

Comment

@Gry
            Norfolk, Virginia, USA
            2014 World Class Learning (coach)
            2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
            2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
            2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
            2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

Gryfftherclaw I'd like to clarify what you wrote. First of all, you can ALWAYS touch the robot. Sometimes when you touch the robot, you may get a penalty. But the bottom line is, you can always, and at any time, regardless of where the robot is on the table, touch the robot. You specifically do not need referee "permission". If the handlers want to grab the robot, go ahead and grab it.

Now, if you want to stop the robot at a certain point because your robot has completed everything that it intends to do, and there is still time left on the clock, it would be wise to let the refs know that you are done, and that you want to turn your robot off. At that point, I wouldn't pick the robot up because the refs need to score the table and they prefer to keep everything exactly as it was when the robot was done. Especially if the robot was carrying something that relied on specific positioning. In that case, you absolutely must not move the robot.

All this being said, strategically stopping the robot at a specific time is not permitted because now the human operator has become an illegal sensor. You can't, for example, try to stop the robot as it pushes a satellite just as the satellite is in the correct position. Of course, like I said in the first paragraph, you can DO it, but in this case you wouldn't get the points for the satellite.
              Norfolk, Virginia, USA
              2014 World Class Learning (coach)
              2015 Trash Trek (coach, judge)
              2016 Animal Allies (coach, judge)
              2017 Hydrodynamics (coach, judge)
              2018 Into Orbit (coach, head judge)

Comment

Working...
              X