Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rules & Missions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For mission M04, our team is wondering how flat the

  • #2
    Hmm, that post didn't work. It seems to have chopped it off where I had quotation marks, possibly because I also had quotation marks in the subject line (which entirely disappeared). Probably some HTML encoding gone awry in the forum software, I'd guess.

    My question was this: for mission M04, our team wants to know how flat the flattened gate must be. Is there an objective measure?

    Obviously (I think) the gate has to move at least a little bit. But it doesn't seem like judges will require that it's completely flat (as in actually touching the mat), because it seems very possible to drive a robot over the gate, moving the mechanism 80% of its travel or whatever, without completely flattening it to the mat. It seems like judges probably wouldn't disallow a team that drove over the gate if the gate was still 1mm or so off the mat (or if they did, I wouldn't expect the team to be very happy about it!). If that's correct, then, and there's an objective notion of "flattened gate", is it some specific point between (say) 1mm and completely closed? Or is there some other way to evaluate what "flattened" means?

    A secondary question is: *when* must the gate be flattened? I know that U08 says "The Gate must be flattened by the end of the Match, but how and when that happens doesn

    Comment


    • #3
      (Is there some way to edit the subject line of this post? I wanted it to say:

      M04: What is a "flattened gate"?

      )

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kenahoo View Post
        (Is there some way to edit the subject line of this post? I wanted it to say:

        M04: What is a "flattened gate"?

        )
        Tips about the forum:
        • No, you can't edit the subject.
        • You can't copy-and-paste text out of the rules PDF document. The Forum doesn't support the PDF formatting characters. If you want to copy-and-paste some text, you have to wash it through a text editor (to remove the formatting), then paste it into the Forum and re-apply the formatting. It is not much fun.
        Re: Flattened gate: "Flattened" isn't defined in the rules, so it is up to the referee's judgement. A typical ruling would be that the gate must be completely horizontal, so that if the referee pushes down on the gate after the match ends, it doesn't move any farther. But different events may use different standards for what 'flattened' means.
        FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kenahoo View Post
          A secondary question is: *when* must the gate be flattened? I know that U08 says "The Gate must be flattened by the end of the Match, but how and when that happens doesn
          By Rule GP5, Robot Game Updates have the highest priority. So under U08, the Gate flatness is only significant at the end of the match.


          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

          Comment


          • #6
            I guess my point on that second issue was that U08 says

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kenahoo View Post
              I guess my point on that second issue was that U08 says
              As I mentioned earlier, you can't copy-and-paste from the Game Rules or Updates PDF files.
              FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post
                Re: Flattened gate: "Flattened" isn't defined in the rules, so it is up to the referee's judgement. A typical ruling would be that the gate must be completely horizontal, so that if the referee pushes down on the gate after the match ends, it doesn't move any farther. But different events may use different standards for what 'flattened' means.
                At our competitions we say the gate must at least be horizontal with BOD. The axis of the gate rotation is above the mat so the gate can be lower than horizontal.

                Comment

                Working...
                X