Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into Orbit Secret Mission 02

I must be really dense, because SM02 makes no sense at all to me. It says:
    • The Lander never had contact with the Robot.
    • Move the Lander so it is NOT touching the mat, completely in its Target Circle and intact.
    • Move the Lander so it is NOT touching the mat, completely in its Northeast Planet Area, and intact.
    Sooooo, if I don't do anything and don't touch the lander at all, it already meets those conditions, doesn't it? The robot didn't have contact with the lander, the lander is not touching the mat, the lander is in the NE planet area, and the lander is intact.

Must be double-secret probation.

M15 I might could help with. SM02 is beyond my pay grade.

Comment

Is the lander completely in the Target Circle? I don't have a mat to verify. If not, getting the lander in the NE planet area is pretty easy, but trying for the more difficult solution imperils the easy (free) solution.

I think hanging the astronaut from the top of the escape velocity model sounds fun.
      Last edited by Dean Hystad; 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Hystad View Post
        I think hanging the astronaut from the top of the escape velocity model sounds fun.
        I totally agree! It's way the heck up there and hoisting Gerhard up to the top sounds really neat.

Comment

OK, I have thought about this mission for two days now and I have no idea how to get the lander down in tact without ever touching a robot. I know you are questioning whether you even need to do anything, since the start condition meets all of the mission condition, but suppose the mission objective said something like "the lander must not be touching the mat and within 100 mm (4 inches) of the mat". Then how the heck could this be done???

That was a rhetorical question. Do not tell me how to do it if you have a working solution.

I am thinking that if you leave some sort of equipment in place under the lander, and then trigger the lander to fall onto the equipment in tact, it has not touched to robot, but has touched the equipment. Crikeys!!!

If anyone sees a video of this being done, please post it here AFTER the challenge is over.
          Norfolk, Virginia, USA
          FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
            OK, I have thought about this mission for two days now and I have no idea how to get the lander down in tact without ever touching a robot. I know you are questioning whether you even need to do anything, since the start condition meets all of the mission condition, but suppose the mission objective said something like "the lander must not be touching the mat and within 100 mm (4 inches) of the mat". Then how the heck could this be done???

That was a rhetorical question. Do not tell me how to do it if you have a working solution.

I am thinking that if you leave some sort of equipment in place under the lander, and then trigger the lander to fall onto the equipment in tact, it has not touched to robot, but has touched the equipment. Crikeys!!!

If anyone sees a video of this being done, please post it here AFTER the challenge is over.
            Yes, as baffled as I was by the wording of their description, that's essentially what I figured they were getting at -- the robot could touch the lever to release the lander, but the robot wouldn't touch the lander itself. And I was also thinking the robot would need to shove some sort of equipment out there (with no physical connection between the legos being shoved and the robot itself).

I was playing around with a funnel concept that would guide the lander to the right spot as it fell, but since it doesn't slow it down any, the lander would still reach the bottom travelling too fast to remain intact.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
              Then how the heck could this be done???
              If I could get my hands on some Lego brand (TM) water, it would be pretty fun to shove a big lego bathtub over there and let the water slow down the lander's fall. (And although it's not the "lander" that splashes into the ocean, NASA has certainly dropped their share of spacecraft into water! :->)

Comment

Originally posted by brian@kidbrothers.net View Post

Yes, as baffled as I was by the wording of their description, that's essentially what I figured they were getting at -- the robot could touch the lever to release the lander, but the robot wouldn't touch the lander itself. And I was also thinking the robot would need to shove some sort of equipment out there (with no physical connection between the legos being shoved and the robot itself).

I was playing around with a funnel concept that would guide the lander to the right spot as it fell, but since it doesn't slow it down any, the lander would still reach the bottom travelling too fast to remain intact.
                Physical contact does not make equipment part of the robot. Read the robot definition and you'll see that attaching something to the robot doesn't even make it part of the robot. The equipment must be connected to the robot BY HAND and not designed to separate from the robot EXCEPT BY HAND.

Playing with various lander models the lander separates almost every time even if it doesn't fall at all. The act of spreading the lander "tongs" is enough to separate the top half from the bottom half of the lander.

Comment

Originally posted by brian@kidbrothers.net View Post
                  I must be really dense, because SM02 makes no sense at all to me. It says:
                  The Lander never had contact with the Robot.
                  Move the Lander so it is NOT touching the mat, completely in its Target Circle and intact.
                  Move the Lander so it is NOT touching the mat, completely in its Northeast Planet Area, and intact.
                  Sooooo, if I don't do anything and don't touch the lander at all, it already meets those conditions, doesn't it? The robot didn't have contact with the lander, the lander is not touching the mat, the lander is in the NE planet area, and the lander is intact.
                  I'm thinking of a solution that is weird, but it may be correct.
                  The lander is already not touching the mat, completely in its target circle and intact. By looking at the field you can see that the projection is in the circle, so this condition is met. What is missing is the moving action. What if the robot bumps against the structure that supports the lander, making it move a bit without making it fall? Would that be valid? Technically the lander has been moved, it's not touching the mat, intact and completely in the target circle.

Comment

Working...
                  X