Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission 9 "only supported by blue beams"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 9 "only supported by blue beams"?

The requirement is "Test Building is Independent and Supported only by the blue beams..." Then how about the blue beams are supported by my equipment? Is that allowed? Thanks

Originally posted by xnzhxnzh View Post
    The requirement is "Test Building is Independent and Supported only by the blue beams..." Then how about the blue beams are supported by my equipment? Is that allowed? Thanks
    Check the definition of Independent - "Not touching any equipment".

For that reason it would not be allowed.

Comment

Well the mission text only requires the Test Building to be Independent. The blue beams have no explicit Independent statement.

But I would still rule against the mission if any objects are touching just the blue beams - based on the second portion of the mission text: And Supported only by the blue beams.

If something else is touching the blue beams, then how can a ref ensure the Test Building is supported "only" by the blue beams? The blue beams are (could be) being "assisted" in some way by whatever is touching them. Yea?

This is one of those that perhaps it may be possible to convince a ref your solution meets the text, but is that risk/effort worth it (especially early in the season), over perhaps modifying the solution enough so it clearly meets the text.

Comment

I think dan1990's advice at the end of the answer is the way to go, and do not rely on any ref to agree with your team's interpretation. That being said, if I am holding a lego in my hand, is it not also being supported by the floor on which I am standing? And that floor is supported by the foundation of the building, which is supported by the ground.
        Norfolk, Virginia, USA
        FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

The transitive property cannot apply here, because the blue beams are obviously supported by something, and therefore the thing supporting the blue beams is also supporting the test building. However, if you add equipment to support the blue beams and it is only indirectly supporting the test building, you leave yourself open to a ref disagreeing with your interpretation. Some teams like arguing with refs. If your team is one that likes to argue with refs, please continue on with your indirect support idea. If you'd rather spend your time inventing and engineering instead of debating, design a solution that doesn't require additional support.

There is something for everyone in FLL, even debate.

Comment

Working...
          X