Inspection Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection Area

NOTE: If your Robot and all of its equipment fit in the small area .....

Does equipment include the game pieces or only what you bring to the table?
    Last edited by Belleview Robotics; 08-26-2019, 10:05 AM.

Per the Game Guide, "Definitions, 02. Equipment - This is anything you bring to a Match for Mission-related activity, including the Robot" So, no, the mission models are not included in the inspection, only what the team brings to the match. Based on this definition and the wording of Mission 11, this would also include whatever the team builds from bag 10 for Mission 11, Innovative Architecture and brings to the table.
    FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

"Equipment" means your robot and any attachments you brought with you to use at the competition table. It does not include game pieces that are already on the game table.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcook View Post
        "Equipment" means your robot and any attachments you brought with you to use at the competition table. It does not include game pieces that are already on the game table.
        Thank You Nedcook

Comment

I cannot find anything that says equipment must be assembled at the time of inspection, nor anything that precludes stacking other than the 12" ceiling. Will we be seeing examples of LEGO origami?

Comment

We had our first team meeting today, and we are traditionally a LargeBot team. When I told them about the inspection areas, some of the members were quite upset at first, but they embraced it and started asking questions like "can we hold the robot while it is being inspected?" (answer is "yes") and "can we disassemble the attachments" (nothing seems to say "no") and "Can we make parts that fold up?" to which I strongly encouraged them to do! I really hope to see some cool foldable transformer robots this year.
            Norfolk, Virginia, USA
            FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
              We had our first team meeting today, and we are traditionally a LargeBot team. When I told them about the inspection areas, some of the members were quite upset at first, but they embraced it and started asking questions like "can we hold the robot while it is being inspected?" (answer is "yes") and "can we disassemble the attachments" (nothing seems to say "no") and "Can we make parts that fold up?" to which I strongly encouraged them to do! I really hope to see some cool foldable transformer robots this year.
              Couple of questions:
              1) What do you mean by hold? Hold it in your hands above the inspection area?
              2) So, they will disassemble the attachments for inspection and reassemble during the run?

Comment

The rules update from last week specifically allows the team to hold (with their hands) the robot pieces for the inspection:
                Your hands can be used to restrain/confine Equipment within the volume of an Inspection Area.

Then they asked if they could, for instance, detach a long arm for the inspection so that it could be placed in the inspection area successfully. They would then reassemble it before the first launch. They talked about having designs that could come apart easily and go back together easily. "Like a transformer!". No rules against it, but I warned them about the limited amount of time before the match and I warned them about the structural integrity of such a design. Anyway, I'll let them try it, if they feel the need.
                Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

They talked about having designs that could come apart easily and go back together easily. "Like a transformer!".
                  I welcome our new transforming robot overlords....

megatron.jpg

Comment

I really, REALLY hope they do it. I think it would be AWESOME.
                    Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Comment

The rules update from last week specifically allows the team to hold (with their hands) the robot pieces for the inspection:
                      Your hands can be used to restrain/confine Equipment within the volume of an Inspection Area.

Then they asked if they could, for instance, detach a long arm for the inspection so that it could be placed in the inspection area successfully. They would then reassemble it before the first launch. They talked about having designs that could come apart easily and go back together easily. "Like a transformer!". No rules against it, but I warned them about the limited amount of time before the match and I warned them about the structural integrity of such a design. Anyway, I'll let them try it, if they feel the need.
                      I read the update as meaning that you may use your hand as a "wall" to keep things from flowing out of the inspection area, not as you are allowed to hold equipment in your hand.

What do others think?

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post

I read the update as meaning that you may use your hand as a "wall" to keep things from flowing out of the inspection area, not as you are allowed to hold equipment in your hand.

What do others think?
                        That is how I read it.

Comment

You fell victim to one of the classic FLL blunders; "Don't read things into the rules that aren't there." There is nothing in the update that says how your hands can be used to restrain robot and equipment. Holding is restraining.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post

What do others think?
                            I think you can hold things, but then your hand (or at least part of it) must be in the volume of the inspection area.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post

I think you can hold things, but then your hand (or at least part of it) must be in the volume of the inspection area.
                              My next question would be what would be the advantage of holding something in you hand? If you have to have your hand over the inspection area, then the combined space taken up would be greater in addition to running into the 12' height maximum.

Just wondering

Comment

Working...
                              X