Crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane

I currently have 2 mission boards set up. On one board, when you set the crane the box on the line is directly above the blue box on the mat. On the second set, the crane box is a little off set so that you need to move the crane a little to have it line up.

Which is correct?
    1- you should be able to lower box and have it sit on the box on the mat
    2. you need to move the crane a little to make them line up

Thank you

NW corner.jpg

Based on the Overview graphic, the crane should be set up with an off set from the blue circle.

Comment

In the field setup guide for the crane it states to "rotate arm all the way clockwise" for initial setup. This positions the crane blue unit above a spot to the north of the circle. One way a team could receive the full 50 points for Mission 2 involves 1) moving the blue unit on the mat into the circle 2) rotating the crane counterclockwise so the hooked blue unit is above the circle and then 3) lowering the crane blue unit onto the mat blue unit.

Comment

Originally posted by is1c View Post
        NW corner.jpg

Based on the Overview graphic, the crane should be set up with an off set from the blue circle.
        The picture means nothing. The field setup guide specifies how models are configured at the start of match. Some teams are unaware the setup guide is part of the rules and they are very surprised come tournament day. Don't be one of those teams.
        Last edited by Dean Hystad; 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by jasponti View Post
            . One way a team could receive the full 50 points for Mission 2 involves 1) moving the blue unit on the mat into the circle 2) rotating the crane counterclockwise so the hooked blue unit is above the circle and then 3) lowering the crane blue unit onto the mat blue unit.
            Giving robot game strategy solutions on the Forum is not necessarily a good idea.

FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by is1c View Post

Nothing in the robot game rules says that the "Table Overview" graphic shows the table pre-set position accurately. Do not trust it.
              FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by jasponti View Post
                In the field setup guide for the crane it states to "rotate arm all the way clockwise" for initial setup. This positions the crane blue unit above a spot to the north of the circle. One way a team could receive the full 50 points for Mission 2 involves 1) moving the blue unit on the mat into the circle 2) rotating the crane counterclockwise so the hooked blue unit is above the circle and then 3) lowering the crane blue unit onto the mat blue unit.
                That would be one way. Perhaps the most obvious way. Now go think of 10 more ways to solve the problem, run some experiments to determine which of those works best with your robot and your other game solutions, get it working 100% of the time, and show it off come tournament day.

It is a rare mission that is difficult to solve. The tricky part is doing it fast and reliably.

Comment

When we set up our crane and rotated the right side arm all the way up (as directed), the box sits behind the blue circle. I can't think of any reason the crane would be designed to rotate if there wasn't a reason to rotate it. Therefore, it seems to me that the second setup is correct. I would have your kids go back through the building directions and see if they can figure out which is correct based on those...

Comment

My apologies. It was not my intention to reveal strategy nor suggest there was only one solution. I wanted to provide evidence to support the preset location of the crane.
                    Last edited by jasponti; 09-02-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X