Mission 2- Crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 2- Crane

Several of my teams are having a debate, so I thought I would see what you all think.

On mission two it states: "independent and supported by another blue unit." is an extra 15 points.

One team is using a blue unit from home to push the blue unit in the square into the circle then lowering the blue cube on to the two cubes in the circle.
    Would this score as being supported by a blue unit if it is partially on both of the blue units, or no points for supported because it is on 2 units and not 1

Hope that makes sense.

I'm a head referee. Personally I don't think the number of blue units that provide the support will matter. But that's no guarantee of what the head referee at your tournament will say.
    FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Strategies that rely on a friendly ruling from the referees add some additional risk.

Comment

I guess I might be a reason why you don't rely on a friendly ruling even though I try to give every benefit of the doubt. To me, the mission is written in the singular and seems clear. "Supported by another Blue Unit" means one blue unit. Using two increases the target area and is not how the mission is written.
        I would likely find that it does not score. If I were a ref, I would send it to the head ref. If I was the head ref, I would say only one unit can be used, if other head refs were going with two, I'd defer to them. So, I'd follow Tom.
        FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. What I like about this is that my students will look at it and see that even coaches will have the same debates as they have.

Comment

Originally posted by DJR View Post
            I guess I might be a reason why you don't rely on a friendly ruling even though I try to give every benefit of the doubt. To me, the mission is written in the singular and seems clear. "Supported by another Blue Unit" means one blue unit. Using two increases the target area and is not how the mission is written.
            I would likely find that it does not score. If I were a ref, I would send it to the head ref. If I was the head ref, I would say only one unit can be used, if other head refs were going with two, I'd defer to them. So, I'd follow Tom.
            I lean pretty heavily toward positive reinforcement of accomplishments. I find the rule text ambiguous - if they had intended "supported by one block", they could easily have written it that way, to include a specific number. I agree that "a" is singular, but I'm not going to extend it to mean "only one" when the rule doesn't specifically say that.
            Last edited by Tom Mosher; 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM. Reason: Adding a word here and there.

Comment

What I found interesting was the "singular" argument between my groups. Most groups said that it could only be one block because it said "a blue unit", the group that was using it stated that since they were flush and touching each other, they made a singular unit by construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post
                ... since they were flush and touching each other, they made a singular unit by construction.
                I would not encourage that interpretation. I think it is clear that "unit" in this mission refers to each blue block, and setting them side-by-side in contact doesn't make two into one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mosher View Post

I would not encourage that interpretation. I think it is clear that "unit" in this mission refers to each blue block, and setting them side-by-side in contact doesn't make two into one.
                  I agree, I just find the debate interesting. Also love the fact that the debates they were having are the same ones coaches and judges have.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post

I agree, I just find the debate interesting. Also love the fact that the debates they were having are the same ones coaches and judges have.
                    Yes, it sounds like we're all doing the same things in studying the issue. That's pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                    X