Mission 12 stack reinforcement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 12 stack reinforcement?

First-time coach so likely a rookie question. But this forum has been super helpful so thank you in advance!

I am trying to provide guidance to my team on their suggested strategy for this year's Mission 12. The team wants to stack the units vertically 9 levels high (with a sustainability upgrade on top) and have the robot push it out into one of the circles for scoring. Their thinking behind this strategy is there will be less maneuvering the robot would need to do while on the field thereby saving on time and avoiding potential mistakes. However, the team quickly realized after building a prototype that a 9-level stack is highly unstable and will require some reinforcement. They proposed building a reinforcement cage around the stack and have their robot push it out onto the field during the game. My read on this is the Height rule for Mission 12 clearly states "if there are Independent Stacks at least partly in any Circles" and Rule 33 defines Independent to mean "not touching any equipment". Based on this, I can't see how it's possible to build a cage around the stack that provides support while still maintaining clearance for the stack to be "independent". Am I interpreting this correctly?

I think it possible to support the stack during transport and still meet the mission requirements at end of match.

Comment

Originally posted by gary780 View Post
      First-time coach so likely a rookie question. But this forum has been super helpful so thank you in advance!

I am trying to provide guidance to my team on their suggested strategy for this year's Mission 12. The team wants to stack the units vertically 9 levels high (with a sustainability upgrade on top) and have the robot push it out into one of the circles for scoring. Their thinking behind this strategy is there will be less maneuvering the robot would need to do while on the field thereby saving on time and avoiding potential mistakes. However, the team quickly realized after building a prototype that a 9-level stack is highly unstable and will require some reinforcement. They proposed building a reinforcement cage around the stack and have their robot push it out onto the field during the game. My read on this is the Height rule for Mission 12 clearly states "if there are Independent Stacks at least partly in any Circles" and Rule 33 defines Independent to mean "not touching any equipment". Based on this, I can't see how it's possible to build a cage around the stack that provides support while still maintaining clearance for the stack to be "independent". Am I interpreting this correctly?
      You are correct.
      At the end of the match, the stack must be Independent.
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Yes, you are interpreting it correctly. Any Mission 12 stack must be independent, meaning not touching any equipment at the end of the Match. The cage would be either the Robot if part of the Robot or equipment if not connected to the Robot. At the end of the Match, the stack must be independent. Have your team experiment with the cage and challenge them to come up with a delivery method that leaves the stack independent at the end of the Match.
        FLL coach Trash Trek on, State 4x, World 2x, ref, judge advisor.

Comment

Thank you!

I think I will implement the suggestion from one of the other threads on here and appoint one team member to be the "rules lawyer" - they can always ask the coach for guidance or clarification but ultimately the team has to make their own informed decision and be able to articulate it to the judges during the match.

Comment

See Rule 21 - the stack must be less than 12 inches at Launch. Will 9 levels and an Upgrade fit?
            Also, as a strategy consideration, two red units each partly in a circle, flat down on the mat, are worth the same HEIGHT points as a stack of two red units, but are more stable during transportation.

Comment

Working...
            X