Where can you change attachments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can you change attachments?

After the robot returns to home after a launch, do you have to change attachments in Home, or can you change them in the Launch Area?
    scoTT

It seems that you could still work on the robot in the launch area before launching. The robot is not running a mission and it has not been launched again (presumably) until it has left that launch area. Once the robot leaves the launch area, you'd have to wait for it to get back.

Comment

Originally posted by winklestork View Post
      After the robot returns to home after a launch, do you have to change attachments in Home, or can you change them in the Launch Area?
      Either.

See Rules 19, 22, and 23.
      FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I agree, but our state head ref's current ruling is that you can only change attachments in Home during the match.
        (19) says before the match starts you can arrange and make adjustments to Equipment in the Launch Area. So, kids can clearly add attachments in Launch Area.
        (21) says during the match you can arrange the Robot and what it's about to move or use in the Launch Area. It doesn't say you can make adjustments. It's a bit more ambiguous.
        (22) say during the match you can only interact with Equipment in Home and implies in the Launch Area you can only Launch. It's a bit contradicting.
        scoTT

Comment

Originally posted by winklestork View Post
          I agree, but our state head ref's current ruling is that you can only change attachments in Home during the match.
          (19) says before the match starts you can arrange and make adjustments to Equipment in the Launch Area. So, kids can clearly add attachments in Launch Area.
          (21) says during the match you can arrange the Robot and what it's about to move or use in the Launch Area. It doesn't say you can make adjustments. It's a bit more ambiguous.
          (22) say during the match you can only interact with Equipment in Home and implies in the Launch Area you can only Launch. It's a bit contradicting.
          I disagree with your head referee (I am a head referee also).
          FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

Home and launch area stop having any meaning from the time you interrupt the robot to when the robot is launched. Exactly what was the referee planning to do if the team adjusted the robot inside the launch area? He can't take a precision token because the robot was not interrupted. He cannot delay launch any longer than if the adjustments were made in home. If there is a rule against making adjustments inside the launch area (which there isn't) the rule has no teeth.

Comment

And even more, once the robot was placed in the launch area, what if the team decided to further "adjust" the pointing of the robot? Maybe there should be a rule like in chess where if you take your finger off if it, then it's done? Dean's right, there would be no way to even write such a rule without drastically changing the launch procedures.

No, there is absolutely no rule preventing adjustments in the launch area. Once you have interrupted the robot and until the next launch, home and the launch area are all yours to do whatever you want.

That being said, if your head ref has told you otherwise, and you feel certain he/she/they understood your question (understand that refs like to be extremely precise in their language, and forget that coaches and kids often are not), you should follow your ref's directions. I'd make another attempt to contact your head ref and ensure you are both understanding each other.
              Norfolk, Virginia, USA
              FLL Coach and Regional Tournament Head judge since 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SkipMorrow View Post
                ...Maybe there should be a rule like in chess where if you take your finger off if it, then it's done?...
                Doesn't the Launch serve the same purpose?

I also agree with Tom. I've been Head Ref for one of the local tournaments, not for the state.

Comment

Working...
                X