Into Orbit Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into Orbit Season

I know I am projecting something that I do not yet know, but is anyone else concerned with this topic? Finding experts might be difficult, if you are not located near or have contacts with aerospace company.
    Legolympians - 2009-2015 (retired - joined FRC team 5422 Stormgears)
    Legolicious - 5th year girls team
    Brick Force - 2nd year boys team

2015 - Mass FLL coach of the year.

I think your worry is premature and ultimately unfounded. Teams will find a way be they from Houston or Helena. Minnesota is no where near Scotland, but our primary expert for Food Factor was a Professor at the University of Edinburgh. Conversly, for Smart Move my girls refused to utilize years of vehicle expertise sitting across them at the table.
    Last edited by Dean Hystad; 05-09-2018, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Edit: Strange, posting through my iPhone would only include first line of text...

In most areas where FLL exist, you can't go a mile without running into food or transportation professional. Just about every town has water treatment plant. This isn't so for space travel or even orbiting earth... Finding experts will be difficult. My work, has some retired astronauts so I might reach out to them. Then, there are universities in Boston area. But this is going to be more difficult than other seasons!
      Last edited by Leon R; 05-09-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

No, I'm not worried about finding experts. Depending on your team's project topic, you may not even need anyone involved in aerospace.
        - If your team does something related to the long-term impacts of weightlessness on the human body, a doctor, PT or OT might be appropriate to talk to.
        - If your team is interested in growing food while in orbit, a farmer or gardener (professional or amateur, master or otherwise) might be a great expert.
        - If you're looking into lighter weight space vehicles someone in the automotive or ship building field or a materials engineer might be able to help out.
        - A team wanting to investigate printing 3-D parts while in orbit could find a local makerspace and talk to the person who knows the most about the 3-D printer.
        Educators in any of these fields could also act as experts.

And your experts don't need to actually be employed in the profession in which you're using them as an expert. Having expert knowledge doesn't require a specific degree or profession. I know of a librarian in Michigan, a film maker based out of California, a pastor in South Carolina, a sailor currently in New Jersey, a database administrator in Mississippi and a variety of other individuals from around the US who would qualify (and I know because they were my team mates when I went to Space Camp).
        --
        Fort Worth Robotics - North Texas Region Team #455
        Technical coach, baker of the cookies, keeper of the time, transporter of the travel field walls, finder of the spare parts, maker of the pop culture references that only the other tall people understand.

Comment

I think teams might need to think out-of-the-box for this year's theme. Like gt0163c mentions, you don't have to have someone in the space industry. Experts come in all types. Plus, with Skype/Google Hangouts and more, teams are not limited by geography even if they really wanted to talk to a specific person who is far away.

There is a collaborative document in FLL: Share and Learn where the community is sharing resources like books and field trip ideas that might spark some ideas for your team: https://www.facebook.com/notes/fll-s...4522089599182/
          Mentor: Not the Droids You Are Looking For - retired (World Festival Champion's 2018)
          Judge: Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open, Mountain State
          Head Referee: Western PA Championships

Comment

Thank you for a generous offer, MrGibbage! Depending on how things are going, I might have to take you up on it

Comment

Originally posted by MrGibbage
              What innovative solution for space travel are a group of middle schoolers going to come up with?
              I agree with Mr Gibbage. Except that I've got an entirely new team of kids who are 4th graders. I'm not anticipating them getting a bid to the Global Innovations Awards this year.

Of course, it's about learning, not "success." We'll go through the process. And I hope we'll make some rockets and fire them. I've endangered kids with soldering irons, molten lead, backhoes, setting a university on fire. Now we need one of our parents to step up as the "Range Safety Officer."

Comment

I understand whatever problem we select has to be faced "during long duration space exploration". Does a potential solution have to take place there as well? Off the top of my head, mediation techniques (to help deal with loneliness) that can be taught in astronaut school, or jamming 2,000 calories into a pill :-)

Comment

A word of advice in searching for experts. Check into NASA's Ambassador program. https://solarsystem1.jpl.nasa.gov/ssa/directory.cfm They aren't NASA Employees but they are vetted and trained by NASA to promote curiosity and understanding about space and space travel. I met two at an event at our regional science museum and they had all sorts of interesting insights into Orion and SpaceLab.

Comment

Working...
                  X