No announcement yet.

Tips for the Project presentation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the team's score for "Sources of Information"? It's possible the judges considered your expert as a source of information rather than an audience for "Sharing". Have them find someone else to share their solution with.

I'm encouraging my team to use a placard during the skit with one side listing the experts they consulted and the other side listing who they shared their solution with. It's been a challenge for prior teams to successfully communicate both categories of people in the judging room, especially if there are several people in each category.

Lastly, it seems like your team should make the case for innovation during their presentation, the key point being to describe what added value their solution provides.

Comment

"Second guessing" judges is going to be problematic. Those same judges may have seen many excellent presentations that day. In comparison to other teams, your team may have been viewed as "beginners" in the area of "Sharing" even though your team may have shared their idea with an expert. Other teams may have shared their ideas with larger communities, or associations, or multiple experts over a longer period of time. If you want to score "Accomplished" on the Sharing measure you should have the team explain why the individual they shared their idea with is an expert. If possible, find other "experts" to share their idea with. Remember, you are competing against teams that already are sharing their ideas with the world. Setup a website. Waiting for a response from NASA is probably not a viable solution for you.

Comment

Our team used to leave some information on paper with the judges. We left a one page summary of the project, that briefly provided information in the following areas:
        • What is the problem?
        • How was the problem researched?
        • What is the solution?
        • How is the solution innovative and different?
        • Who was the solution shared with?
        There wasn't anything on the one page overview that was not presented or discussed during the judging session, but it gave the judges something to refer to once the session ended. As a judge, I know it can be hard to ask questions and take notes accurately during the session.

There was an additional page that was a more formal list of citations for research and expert sources.

We also had a big three-ring binder with more info that we let the judges look at during the judging session, but did not leave with them.

Comment

The rubric for project oscillates wildly from being really vague to too specific. So if I share my idea with ONE person/group that may benefit or an expert that is "Accomplished" sharing, but if I share with a dozen groups who really only benefit from learning more about FLL that is "Developing"? That almost forces a judge to use Accomplished or Exemplary for any team that communicates with an expert. Every team will talk at least a little bit about their problem and solution, and isn't that sharing?

Judges chafe at being forced to do anything. Maybe your project judge doesn't think you should get to "double dip" and use an expert as both a resource and an audience. Maybe it wasn't made clear in the presentation that this person was an expert with whom you shared your solution. Maybe it was only implied, and the judge didn't pick up one it. Unfortunately teams are really horrible when it comes to evaluating their own presentation. You are too involved, you know all the decisions that went into the solution and all the resources and all the interviews and when you see and hear the presentation all this context flows through. Judges weren't involved at all in your project and the only thing they see and hear is what you actually show and say. They have no context. They don't know that Person A should be viewed as a resource or an audience or an expert or any combination of the three unless you point his out during the presentation. They also don't know what that a big list of articles and web sites and peoples names means. I know you carefully wrote it all out on the big poster, but if it was never mentioned during your presentation is it actually part of your presentation? I know many project judges that would say no.

I am a great audience for the research presentation. For some reason being obtuse and ignorant comes natural to me. I do not pick things up quickly and I don't read between the lines. If you don't present information I am not going to fill in the blanks. I cannot count the number of teams who were very proud of their presentation, justifiably so, only to be shocked that I didn't know what problem they were solving, or why it is important to solve their problem, or how their solution was supposed to solve their problem. At the very least your presentation needs to answer those three questions. That is more important than being cute or funny or creative.

And about those handouts, they are at best a memory aid. Information on a bullet list or in a short booklet is not information in your presentation. It think it is good to answer the critical questions, and as long as you are doing that you may as well write it in a document and you may as well hand a copy to the judge, but that information has to be part of the presentation or a lot of judges say it doesn't count.
          Last edited by Dean Hystad; 12-04-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I left the papers at school. I showed them to the kids today and they discussed what they wanted to do better at our district event in January. Their thought was that maybe they need to explicitly name our expert as "an expert we shared with." I also told them that the only things that count in the presentation are the things they tell the judges. When I judged project last month, there was no time to examine their boards or even look over the thick binders that a couple of teams left for us. It is so fast paced as a judge that the kids need to say it or it doesn't count.

Comment

Working...
            X