Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on City Shaper project topic

Hi everyone,

I was reviewing the materials for this years project anticipating it to be about challenges in cities in general. I was wondering in anyone else was surprised by the narrow focus on "a building or public space in your community"?
    Its seems topics like transportation, congestion, air quality, overpopulation, gentrification, affordable housing, etc... would allow kids to learn so much about cities. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the wording even seems to exclude focusing on building design or constructions.

Also surprised by the "one pager" compared to the wealth of material, stories, links, etc... of years passed.

I would be interested what others think.

Thanks,

Florian

Yes, I am not sure if the focus is on the broad subject like air quality, traffic et al. I think the detailed challenge guide should come in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by samirpandey View Post
      I think the detailed challenge guide should come in a few days.
      This will be my 5th year coaching FLL and I think the detailed guide has always been released on Challenge release day in the past. I hope you are right, and that this one-pager is not all we get.

Comment

I am hoping for more detail as well. I wonder if it will come in the Engineering Notebooks that are to be coming with the Challenge kits. Has anyone received their engineering notebooks yet that could comment on what info is included in them about the project?

Comment

Originally posted by nedcook View Post

This will be my 5th year coaching FLL and I think the detailed guide has always been released on Challenge release day in the past. I hope you are right, and that this one-pager is not all we get.
          Yes, you are correct. In years past the detailed guide was released on day 1. Hope they give more info.

Comment

Originally posted by kirchhof View Post
            Hi everyone,

I was reviewing the materials for this years project anticipating it to be about challenges in cities in general. I was wondering in anyone else was surprised by the narrow focus on "a building or public space in your community"?
            Its seems topics like transportation, congestion, air quality, overpopulation, gentrification, affordable housing, etc... would allow kids to learn so much about cities. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the wording even seems to exclude focusing on building design or constructions.

Also surprised by the "one pager" compared to the wealth of material, stories, links, etc... of years passed.

I would be interested what others think.

Thanks,

Florian
            I read the "Public spaces" to be actually quite broad. Anything can be a public space. One of my teams was wanting to do overpopulation. They are tweaking it by looking into how does a city accommodate/build/grow/die when too many people move in and move out of a space. They are beginning their research now.

Air quality is a "public space" and i think with the right framing could easily be worked to meet the project guidelines along with your other larger topics. And in the challenge guide, they pretty much opened it to "any community" not just your town but ANY community.

Comment

From the Aug 4 update:

For this year's project, your team is free to define "your community" in the way that works best for you. This means your team could look at a problem in your local town or city, your country, or even in another part of the world.
              Last edited by dragonops; 08-08-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Blog posting from FIRST about the project.

https://fllblog.wordpress.com/2019/0...kTLLncn5pFkTGg

If you don't have your Engineering Notebooks and Team Meeting Guide yet, it might be helpful to know how we define "building" and "public space." A building is simply a human-made assembly with a roof and walls intended as a place for people to live, work or play. A public space is an area or place that is open and accessible to all people. This include plazas, squares and parks, and connecting spaces like sidewalks and streets.
                Last edited by timdavid; 08-10-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

When do they send out the Engineering Notebooks and Team Meeting Guide? I have received my set, but not them.

Comment

Originally posted by Belleview Robotics View Post
                    When do they send out the Engineering Notebooks and Team Meeting Guide? I have received my set, but not them.
                    Ours are still in Texas. We got our mat and mission models last week, and put them together today. I hope we get the notebooks and guides by our next team meeting, which is a week from today.

Comment

Originally posted by timdavid View Post
                      Blog posting from FIRST about the project.

https://fllblog.wordpress.com/2019/0...kTLLncn5pFkTGg

If you don't have your Engineering Notebooks and Team Meeting Guide yet, it might be helpful to know how we define "building" and "public space." A building is simply a human-made assembly with a roof and walls intended as a place for people to live, work or play. A public space is an area or place that is open and accessible to all people. This include plazas, squares and parks, and connecting spaces like sidewalks and streets.
                      Thanks for sharing this Blog post, it answers a lot our our questions!

Comment

Working...
                      X