Basic question about project displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic question about project displays

Hi, I'm new to all this and first time coach. In addition to the 5-minute presentation, is the team supposed to have a "science fair" display with posters and pictures of their innovation? If so, is this also part of the judging?

Should they have a model or prototype of their invention in their team area? Finally, is electricity generally available?

Thanks!
    Jim

Do not depend on there being anything in the judging room other than judges. You can use posters as part of your presentation, or as supporting material for the judge's interview after the presentation. Do not depend on the judges paying any attention to anything that you do not mention during your presentation. Prototypes or models are certainly allowed, but not required. My teams always have some kind of project poster that we display in the pit area. This is common, but not required in my region and it is a lot of fun walking around reading about different team's research.

Do not depend on the judging room having a lot of space. Practice your presentation in different spaces. I tell my teams that the presentation isn't ready if they can't deliver it in a bathroom or in a concert hall. We've had to present in rooms of all different sizes. I've heard some tournaments don't even have judging rooms, just partitions separating multiple teams giving their presentations at the same time. This can be quite noisy.

Remember that you have limited time for setup. If you have a lot of props the judges may decide to start the presentation before you are ready

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Dean!

Comment

Only team members can go into the Judging Rooms. If your team is finding they need extra help to handle all their props and materials, they should rethink what they are bringing to the Judging Rooms.

Generally, the clock starts as soon as the team members enter the Judging Room so any time they spend setting up diminishes the time they have available to make their presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by philso View Post
          Only team members can go into the Judging Rooms. If your team is finding they need extra help to handle all their props and materials, they should rethink what they are bringing to the Judging Rooms.

Generally, the clock starts as soon as the team members enter the Judging Room so any time they spend setting up diminishes the time they have available to make their presentation.
          You should check with your local FIRST partner. Different rules exist in different areas. In Ohio, we had a discussion at our tournament director meeting about what coaches can and can't do for the team. Stories were told about coaches and teams getting reprimanded and threatened to be disqualified for a coach holding a robot while a kid was trying their shoe (the coach did not do anything but act as a piece of furniture). Our TD's were told that coaches COULD help kids carry in their stuff to a judging room. We were also asked to encourage coaches and possibly even spectators (kids' families) to watch the judging sessions. So, check with your local partner.

Comment

I don't agree with the clock starting as soon as you walk into the room as something that is "generally" done. Substitute "generally" with "may be". Lots of variation, but in all cases it helps to be practiced, organized and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonops View Post
              Hi, I'm new to all this and first time coach. In addition to the 5-minute presentation, is the team supposed to have a "science fair" display with posters and pictures of their innovation? If so, is this also part of the judging?

Should they have a model or prototype of their invention in their team area? Finally, is electricity generally available?

Thanks!
              Jim
              It is up to the team to decide if they want to have a Science Fair-style display or something else. Many teams do have a tri-fold board. Some with just hold different props. Some will have elaborate skits with costumes. There are several lessons on the project written by different teams available for you to reference here: http://flltutorials.com/Project.html. Some teams will have a prototype (made with LEGO, cardboard, or electronics), but the rubrics do not require a prototype. The rubrics do reference being able to test/evaluate your design for the innovation category: "Systematic process used to select, develop, evaluate, test, and improve the solution (Implementation could include cost, ease of manufacturing, etc.)" . Sometimes there is a lot of space, sometimes there is not. Some regions allow no one but the team in, and other regions require one adult (for youth protection reasons). What is provided in the room varies greatly by venue - so ask your organizer about electricity.

Regarding the other comments:

1) Read the judging FAQ provided by FIRST about Coach assistance for setup. http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites...udging-faq.pdf

"Can the coach help the team setup their Project presentation?
              A: As stated in the Project document, teams should plan a presentation that they are able to set up and break down with no adult help. The coach should refrain from helping the team setup any presentation materials or props. There may be rare instances when a presentation prop or other item is too bulky or heavy for team members to carry. In this instance, some tournaments may allow the coach to assist the team, or the tournament may provide volunteers to move the heavy/bulky item. Check with your tournament organizer before the tournament if you have any questions about tournament policies and procedures."

2) Project judging time starts when you enter the room. This is pretty much standard at every event I have judged in for the last 9 years. This includes International Opens and World Festival. This is what we are asked to do at judge training. So, it is good for the kids to get efficient at setup as it will eat into their "5 mins".
              Mentor: FLL 51 2011-2018 (retired, World Festival Champion's); FRC 8027 (2020-)
              Judge: Western PA, World Festival, Razorback Open, Mountain State
              Head Referee: Western PA Championships

Comment

Thanks all for the detailed suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                X