Roborio radio problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roborio radio problem

We have imaged our robo rio, and we can connect via a tether just fine. When we power up the driver station, we get good communication and can control the robot fine. I have configured the radio as per instructions and got a affirmative on it configured. i switch the switch to AP.
    I powered the radio as per instructions to the VRM, I plugged an ethernet cable from port 1 on the radio to the Ethernet port on the robot rio.

I can ping to the radio in the dos prompt. We get no communication or robot code when trying to connect to the robot via the radio. The led's do not turn green in the drivers station.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Re: Roborio radio problem

When you say you can connect via tether, is that USB tether, tether direct to the roboRIO or Ethernet tether through the radio?

When the roboRIO is connected to the radio, can you open the roboRIO Webdashboard and verify that it has a 10.TE.AM.XX IP address? Information on the webdashboard is here: http://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/...o-webdashboard If it does, note the IP.

Now remove the USB tether and connect to the radio wireless. Can you ping the roboRIO via mDNS (roboRIO-####.local where #### is your team number)? Can you ping it via the IP you noted?

Also, make sure you are not trying to use both the roboRIO USB port and the ethernet (or wireless) with the Driver Station at the same time. To be completely certain this is not the issue, you can try rebooting the roboRIO using the reset button in between using the USB and using the Ethernet connection (though this should not be necessary).
    Last edited by Kevin O'Connor; 02-17-2015, 12:20 AM.
    FIRST®
    FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

The tether is directly from the laptop to the robo rio

Comment

I started up the Webdashboard with the tether from the laptop to the roborio. I used the 172.22.11.2. With the radio on, I see the correct IP address. 10.16.95.2,

When I unplug the tether from the laptop and then try to ping to the radio within the web browser typing in roboRio1695, i cannot connect to Webdashboard.

If I ping the radio directly within dos C:\ It says there is a reply, but it also says that the Destination Host unreachable.

Again I can tether directly from the laptop to the roborio via USB tether, not through an ethernet cable through the radio

thanks

Comment

There appears to be some mixing of language in your last post that I am having trouble parsing the situation. If tethering through the radio via Ethernet doesn't work either, get that fixed first before trying anything wireless.

1. The radio has been programmed using the 2015 Bridge Configuration Utility?
          2. When you are connected to the radio you can ping the radio from Command Prompt at 10.16.95.1 and it responds? Is this where you were getting Destination Host unreachable?
          3. The 2015 documentation would have your roboRIO set to DHCP, it should be getting an address from the radio in the range 10.16.95.20 to 10.16.95.99. Is your roboRIO set to a static address of 10.16.95.2?
          4. What IP does your computer have on the Ethernet interface when you are tethered to the radio?
          FIRST®
          FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Hi Kevin,
            It sounds like we are having the same issue.
            Radio configured with the latest radio utility tool. In short can get no Driverstation communications to the roboRIO.

With the radio connected to the roboRio via ethernet cable I'm able to do the following.
            - Make wireless connection to the radio
            - ping the radio at 10.51.48.1 from the PC (command window)
            - ping the roboRio at 10.51.48.18
            - ping the roboRio using roboRIO-5148-FRC ( will not work with roboRIO-5148-FRC.local)
            - able to connect to the radio via a webrowser (using 10.51.48.1) and see that the DCHP assigned roboRio to 10.51.48.18
            - able to connect to the roboRIO web interface using 10.51.48.18
            But still unable to get the comms on the driver station.

Confirmed firewall is disabled.

If I connect a second network cable to the radio from the computer comms will appear, just not able get comms wireless.

Is there anything else I can check.

At a lost as to what is going on.

Thanks,
            -pete

Comment

Originally posted by petetom View Post
              Thanks,
              -pete
              Hi Pete,

It sounds like an mDNS issue. Occasionally, disabling other adapters, restarting the DS, logging off Windows then back on, or rebooting windows can help these scenarios.

Alternately, you can just put the hostname (roboRIO-5148-FRC or roboRIO-5148-FRC.lan) into the Team Number box and you should be able to connect that way if you can ping that name.
              FIRST®
              FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Hi Kevin,
                Thanks for the response. Changing the team number to roboRIO-5148-FRC.lan in the driverstation did work. However Smartdashboard is not working. How do you get the Smartdashboard to work? Unable to enter roboRIO-5148-FRC.lan in the smartdashboard for the team number.

The funny thing is that this happened on several computers. Would rebooting every thing robot which includes the roboRIO and radio along with the computer (driverstation) correct the issue?

Also Eclipse would also error because it was looking for roboRIO-5148-FRC.local, ( a work around for this would be to tether) or connect via USB.

Is there some command I could enter in the command window to flush/reset the mDNS? Is there a process that to be stopped and started?

Thanks,
                -pete

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Once I confirmed I was able to ping everything, I did a reboot of the computer only, it also preformed some updates. Could not just power down without doing the updates. The roboRIO and radio were NOT powered down. After computer booted up all was then working.

Are there any commands to do checks/queries on the mDNS?

Thanks,
                  -pete

Comment

You can "check" mDNS by pinging roboRIO-TEAM-FRC which does close to, but not quite the same thing as, what the DS does. YOu can also try holding shift while right clicking on the dropdown arrow on the DS setup tab to have it display everything it found.

I have heard reports that sometimes ipconfig /flushdns appears to resolve some mDNS issues, but I did not think that would actually have any effect on mDNS.
                    FIRST®
                    FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Hi Kevin,

We are still experiencing driver station connection issues. I have been able to confirm the following.

- Roborio and radio turned with breaker.
                      - Driverstation computer rebooted.
                      - Connection made to the radio, confirmed by ping 10.TEAM.1, also at this time able to ping roborio-51480-frc which shows as roborio-5148-frc.lan [10.51.48.18]
                      - Driverstation program is started where in setup team number is entered as 5148 not roborio-5148-frc.lan
                      - At this point both the driverstation and smartdashboard are up and running.

Now the the robot is powered down and 30 seconds later powered back on.
                      - Confirmed able to ping as described above, but now both driverstation and smartdashboard have no communications.

At this point I was trying to hold the shift and right click on the dropdown team number in the setup tab as you indicated and nothing happens. The shift key and right click do not change anything displayed.

Yesterday, I tried the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command and it worked one time.

Now if I change the team number to roborio-5148-frc.lan driverstaion communications immediately starts working.

I'm connected to the RS-232 port on the roboRIO looking for bootup issues. I do see in the messages log dealing with the mDNS about roboRIO-5150-FRC.local already in use and unexpected conflict. Not sure if this is normal. I have attached the message log file.

You will notice I have used both the 5158 and 5150, I have been using 5150 on a second setup so the messages log uses 5150.

One last thing on the driverstation display I also get the following message
                      ERROR -44019 FRC: The mDNS service is slow to respond. Check firewall setting. Driver Station

I have confirmed the firewall is OFF.

I am sitting in front of this setup where I can duplicate the above. If you would like live information I can be reached at 262.521.6758 for next couple of hours.

Thanks,
                      -pete
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X