Where is Jaguar update 92

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Jaguar update 92

When we initialize the robot and CAN jaguar we get an error message that says we need version 92 of the Jaguar firmware. We currently have 91. I cannot seem to find 92. I have looked on the TI page where we normally got the updates last year and it still shows 91 as the latest version.

We are using the 2CAN on Ethernet port 2. Are using the plug-ins with the new 2011 image along with the CAN Jaguar classes now included in the WPI library.

Re: Where is Jaguar update 92

I am also looking for this - missed your post.

v92 is a requirement for using CAN bus (according to <R58> D.): "If the CAN-bus configuration is used, the firmware on all Jaguar speed controllers must be updated to at least Version 92 of the official FIRST firmware."

I have contacted LuminaryMicro directly and, I suspect, so will many other First teams who are planning on using CAN bus this year.

Hopefully, they will post it soon.

- wjr

Comment

Jaguar Firmware version 92 will be on www.luminarymicro.com/jaguar on Monday January 10th.

We apologize for the delay.

-David

Comment

It can also be found in the <public documents>/FRC directory after installing the FRC Utilities update.

-Joe

Comment

Thank you David and Joe.

The idea of packing it with the update is great. Did you do that last year and I missed it, or is that new?

Is there a new BDC-COMM? or is version 89 still current?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Meyer View Post
            The idea of packing it with the update is great. Did you do that last year and I missed it, or is that new?
            It's new for this year since CAN is officially supported.

Originally posted by Hugh Meyer View Post
            Is there a new BDC-COMM? or is version 89 still current?
            There is a version 92 bdc-comm, but if you are not seeing it, I guess it needs to be updated in the installer. Please let me know.

-Joe

Comment

Jaguar-92.bin, BlackJaguar-92.bin and bdc-comm-92.exe are now on www.luminarymicro.com/jaguar.

-David

Comment

Originally posted by dyanoshak View Post
                David,

Thank you for posting the updates. The three direct links in this message returned the following error:

File not available
                We're sorry. There was something wrong with the link for the file you requested.

If you encountered this link on a site other than LuminaryMicro.com you are seeing this because outside links directly to Luminary Micro downloads are not permitted. Please browse the menus on this page to locate your desired download.

If you are having trouble downloading files from links you clicked on the Luminary Micro site, please click here to Contact Us and report the problem. We will make sure you get the files you need.

-Hugh

Comment

You've probably found the firmware by now but just in case....
                  http://www.luminarymicro.com/jaguar
                  Firmware link is on the right.

Also new 2can plugin is available at...
                  http://www.crosstheroadelectronics.com/2CAN.htm
                  Omar Zrien - Cross The Road Electronics - Chief Software
                  CTR Documentation and Updates
                  FRC2015 Programming Help
                  WPILIB Source Documentation

Comment

With this latest update, do the limit switch inputs still act in the same methods as indicated in the getting started guides and the FAQ here?: http://www.luminarymicro.com/jaguar

Specifically, if we hook up a limit switch and trigger it (aka open the connection of the normally closed switch), what happens? Will the Jaguar automatically stop moving the motor in that direction like it has in the past?

I ask because of the way the rules are worded this year - All "control signals" must originate from within the cRio (per <R62>), and <R55>J specifically states that the limit switches can be hooked up there so the cRio may read their status - if the limit switch acts as a control signal to stop the motor from turning automatically (without the cRio reading the status and then generating the control signal to stop the motor), then that functionality would not be allowed with the current rules.

Comment

You are raising a good question. I need to read through the rules in a lot more detail again, but this section here provides a little insight.
                      Custom circuits and additional electronics are allowed to utilize the Port 2 Ethernet bus and/or the CAN-bus to communicate between devices. Note however, that the ROBOT must be controlled by the cRIO-FRC (see Rule <R49>). Thus, any additional devices on the Ethernet or CAN-bus must not provide command signals that do not originate from the cRIO-FRC It is our intent to incrementally open access to the full control system technologies in a controlled manner that reduces the risk of “unanticipated surprises” as we gain experience with the system.

Not to rules lawyer it, but trying to stay with the spirit of the rules and the engineering intent.

Since the cRio is still ultimately in charge of the Jaguar, it is setting the running parameters and still has ultimate disable control over the Jaguar when the bot is disabled, I would think the PID (encoder / POT for speed / possition control) and the Limit switch control on the Jaguar would be allowed. Especially since the PID and limit variables/parameters are in the WPI FRC libraries.

But you are right the language here does not help the engineering intent.
                      If CAN-bus functionality is used, limit switch jumpers may be removed from a Jaguar speed controller and a custom limit switch circuit may be substituted (so that the cRIO-FRC may read the status of the limit switches).

I still think that the cRio is still in full control.

So do we need to put this into the official questions list and hope for a game rule update?

Thanks!

Randy
                      Head Mentor
                      FIRST Team 4106
                      Bots of Prey
                      http://www.botsofprey.org
                      Canyon County 4-H, Idaho

Comment

Unfortunately, that's not entirely the read we've gotten from the currently existing Q&A. I brought the issue up here hoping to get some semi-official word from the people supplying the Jaguars. For full context and detail, check out this thread on Chief Delphi:
                        http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89697

Most importantly, it references a Q&A response here:
                        http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=16326

This Q&A response makes it pretty clear that the built-in PID control in the Jaguars is illegal this year, and extending that same interpretation of the rules to the other functions of the Jaguar makes me a bit worried. I wanted to make sure I fully understood how the Jaguars act prior to posing a question to the GDC.

Comment

Update: on Friday the GDC updated their ruling, specifically permitting the use of closed loop control modes by the Jaguars (but NOT by any other device attached to the CAN bus). Obviously, this completely negates the intent of my question, as it's completely legal

Comment

Working...
                          X