2014: Times of Kickoff and Stop Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014: Times of Kickoff and Stop Build

The FRC calendar gives dates for the Kickoff and the Stop Build. But it doesn't give the *time*. For planning and early communication, what TIME (and timezone!) does each of those events occur?
    The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.

I'm Jason Lindquist, and I approve this message. <jason@see.figure1.net>

Re: 2014: Times of Kickoff and Stop Build

Guess - noon for kickoff eastern time -
    stop builds at midnight LOCAL time.
    Bill Bourn
    Coach, FLL#91 F L eLements
    Mentor, FRC#2170 Titanium Tomahawks

Comment

FIRST finally deigned to post the times:
      http://www3.usfirst.org/roboticsprog...r/kickoff-2014

10:30-11:30am EST, so 7:30-8:30am for us folks on the left coast.

There's also a link to a NASA webcast: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/robotics.../kickoff-2014/ and a backup: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/robotics...14/index1.html (Flash required.)

NASA's TV schedule http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html now confirms the kickoff broadcast on both their main public channel and their education channel.

NASA's public channel is available on AT&T U-Verse channel 264, DISH Network channel 212, and on DirecTV channel 346 (though DTV's own program guide does not reflect this schedule update. And I've read something that says you must have a high-definition receiver to watch it.)

If you've got an old-school sat receiver, it's on AMC-18 transponder 3. Receiver details are down the page on http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

Some cable carriers still carry it, you'll have to check their listings.
      The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.

Comment

We're wondering the same thing about stop build. Our mentor team is saying midnight Mon, 2/17; however, the schedule says Tue, 2/18 with no time.

Comment

Originally posted by evanpate View Post
          We're wondering the same thing about stop build. Our mentor team is saying midnight Mon, 2/17; however, the schedule says Tue, 2/18 with no time.
          Searching the manual using the search box in the top right of http://frc-manual.usfirst.org/ may help resolve that question.
          FIRST®
          FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Connor View Post
            Searching the manual using the search box in the top right of http://frc-manual.usfirst.org/ may help resolve that question.
            Then again, it may not.

Let's rephrase it into something that might be easier to answer: If your team is working on your robot at 9AM local time on Tuesday, February 18, 2014, have you violated Rule 5.1?

Comment

Section 5.1:
              Note that “Stop Build Day” is a specific date, so you may work on your robot until midnight on that date in whatever time zone you are working.
              (emphasis mine)

I think that's pretty conclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Voshol View Post
                Section 5.1:
                Note that “Stop Build Day” is a specific date, so you may work on your robot until midnight on that date in whatever time zone you are working.
                I think that's pretty conclusive.
                You have to admit that using the word day, to specify a specific time on a specific day is less then ideal.

R14:
                The ROBOT (including items intended for use during the competition in alternative configurations of the ROBOT, excluding items permitted per R18) must be bagged or crated (as appropriate for your event), and out of Team hands by Stop Build Day, February 18, 2014 (refer to the FRC Administrative Manual, Section 5 for more details).
                Stop Build Day implies a day, and by implies before. Therefore midnight February 17 is a reasonable conclusion, until you read section 5. I'm not an English major, but there's probably a better word to use then day. Even Stop Build Time is better then Stop Build Day. Using unambiguous terms is always better then having to define a new term.
                Team 330 beta tester

Comment

Perhaps "Build Period" would be a better choice, allowing both a start date-time and an end date-time.
                  FIRST LEGO League Mentor and Referee/Head Referee since 2011.

Comment

I have two teachers here, long-time team coaches, who keep saying that we will work on all of Tuesday the 18th, and stop when the clock strikes midnight. They say this is consistent with years past. I want to know if we need to alter those plans.

Every message I have ever sent to frcteams@usfirst.org, on any subject, has gone unanswered. A new frcteams message just hit my inbox that does not clarify this. Is there another way to reach a definitive authority? Sadly, we are not getting anywhere here.

We are calling it "Stop Build Day". Does that mean we stop at the END of the day? Or do we stop at the BEGINNING of the day? Because "midnight" is the FIRST moment of a calendar day.

Again, the answer to a question phrased this way, will settle the whole issue: If we are working at 9am on Tuesday February 18, 2014, are we violating rule 5.1?

Comment

Sorry to be a bit rude, but what part of "you may work on your robot until midnight on that date" do you not understand?

If that's not good enough, the only place you can get an official answer is at the Q&A: https://frc-qa.usfirst.org/Questions.php You have to log in with your TIMS account to ask a question.

Comment

Jason, as Gary has mentioned, I unfortunately cannot answer the question directly here, that must be done through the Q&A system he linked. I was trying to get you a quicker answer by pointing towards the location in the manual with the answer to your question rather than shunting you directly to the Q&A system, my apologies if I have instead caused confusion and more time to be wasted.
                        FIRST®
                        FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

Kevin, thank you. Yes, the Q&A link appears to be what I'm looking for. The manual is ambiguous when held up in past context.

Gary: I interpret "you may work on your robot until midnight on that date" to mean 12:00am Tuesday February 18, 2014. One minute after 11:59pm Monday February 17, and one minute before 12:01am Tuesday February 18. But I work in software, so the time() system call and its cousins are a big influence.

Unfortunately, that's just my interpretation. That language can, in fact, be interpreted to mean either the start of Tuesday, or the end of Tuesday. The National Institute of Standards and Technology cautions about this ambiguity!

Let's look back at 2013. In the 2013 Admin Manual section 5.1, we see the exact same language as in 2014, except for the date:

STOP BUILD DAY is TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2013
                          And then let's look at what actually happened last February. I have a photo, which I took, open in Preview of our team bagging its 2013 robot. The time shown in the EXIF tag is "2013:02:19 23:59:40"

A sample of Twitter traffic shows that it's not just us. Note all timestamps:
                          Here's our neighbors, Team 1538 and Team 3255.
                          Team 1648 also appears to have finished Tuesday night, reading between the lines here and here.
                          Just before 10pm, Team 3328 believed they had two hours left.
                          And Tuesday morning, Team 3683 was beginning their "last day to build"

Hopefully, the FIRST Q&A forum will tell us what some other people won't: Were all six teams I mentioned in violation last season, and would we be violators again this year if we followed the same interpretation of Rule 5.1?

Comment

Jason, I definitely see what you are referring to now. Again, my apologies for any wasted time. Note that you will need your team's official account info for the Q&A from TIMS to submit the question.
                            FIRST®
                            FRC Robotics Engineer

Comment

We finally have an official answer, in the form of Q335:

A. Midnight at the end of the day on Tuesday. At the moment that Tuesday becomes Wednesday.
                              Thank you, that's perfect. As there are new teams each year, and new people within existing teams, not everyone is exposed to the tribal knowledge common to veterans. We'll serve them better if the language in next year's manual is this clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X