Piston and storage tank pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston and storage tank pressure

Does the air pressure have to be released from all pistons or tanks at the end of every match? If not, could we use pistons that are filled with below 60psi pressure as air shocks for the drive train?

Re: Piston and storage tank pressure

This is not an official reply, you should look at the pneumatics rule wording when you pose your official question. That said, in the past when this question has been raised the answer was "Yes". In R77 it says "The pressure vent plug valve must be connected to the pneumatic circuit such that, when manually operated, it will vent to the atmosphere to relieve all stored pressure." All would seem to mean all. The air shock topic is covered in R71 where it says "For the purposes of the FRC, the following devices are not considered pneumatic devices and are not subject to pneumatic rules ... closed--loop COTS pneumatic (gas) shocks", which implies that you must have an unmodified COTS item if you plan to use it as an air shock.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. I am new to the team so I found that information confusing and my team mates couldn't provide answers so thanks.

Comment

I do not think there is any requirement that says the pneumatic system must be vented at the end of the match. Rule R77 talks about the valve being accessible, not that it MUST be used to vent.

I think venting or not would be a decision of the team based on their robot design and what it takes to render the robot safe for transport after the match.

Comment

Originally posted by ericand View Post
          I do not think there is any requirement that says the pneumatic system must be vented at the end of the match. Rule R77 talks about the valve being accessible, not that it MUST be used to vent.

I think venting or not would be a decision of the team based on their robot design and what it takes to render the robot safe for transport after the match.
          I believe you should consider the flow of the match. In short, students put robots on the field, the game is played, the field folks safe the robots, and then the students remove the robots. The procedure used by the field team does not come from a deep analysis of the individual robots. They simply turn off all the power switches and vent all the stored air.

Comment

Working...
          X