Bridge Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Construction

Has any team out there built a bridge for testing that uses alternative materials? We are about to build our test bridge but wanted to find out if there are alternatives.

If you did use different materials, are you getting the expected balancing behavior?

Thanks,

Brian
    Team 4016, Mentor

Re: Bridge Construction

Can you tell us what is not working out with yours?

Comment

We haven't started building it yet. In fact, I'm in the process now of writing out which materials we'll need.

I was trying to see if we can take any shortcuts or make it _____er to build using some wood in the frame, etc.

Also, there are some parts that look we have to manufacturer ourselves. Is that true? Like part number GE-12025, the bridge holder.

Thanks,

Brian

P.S. Can you tell we are a rookie team?

Comment

Are you looking at the official field elements page? Or the team build drawings? You should be using the team build drawings.

Comment

I built a rudimentary bridge system for my team. All you really need is to get the measurements for the top most part which is 48"X88". We built ours out one giant sheet of very thick plywood and attached crisscrossing braces to the bottom for stability. As for the actual usage we just balance it on some old batteries and practice balancing it. For testing lowing it jut put a foot high crate under it and see if you bot can tilt it and for actually being able to climb the incline we just prop up one end about 2ft off the ground. The angle of incline should roughly be 15 degrees with the floor.

So pretty much you just need the top most part of the bridge system and set it up differently for whatever we need to test. And it balances wonderfully if you have the batteries lined up correctly. This is the most rudimentary bridge system we could build and for us it works just fine.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Lauren, Team 1554

Comment

Working...
          X